Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CoD2

• Please log in to reply

humbbug

humbbug

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Punkbuster kicks me and says Blocked O/S privileges, i have updated punkbuster and log in as the administaror on the computer, the other thing suggested was to check for service packs which i think i have all of them. Could my O/S go bad? Because one day a pop up said that there was a prob with my O/S and ever since then ive had punkbuster go nuts on me. My windows should be legal because it came preloaded from the store on an Emachines. Please help me

Thank you

Edited by humbbug, 15 August 2006 - 08:39 PM.

Advertisements

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Hello, humbbug and welcome to geekstogo!

It's not the user priviledge that is blocked, it's punkbuster's ability to access your system.

"Please temporarily disable other security type programs you have running such as anti-virus, process guard, SDProtector, etc. to find out which of them is blocking PB's access to resources on your computer."

Punkbuster FAQ's. Call of Duty example, others are similar.

It should also be noted that some malware can change user permissions and removing the malware may not restore user permissions.

:whistling:

Edited by -=blaster=-, 15 August 2006 - 09:10 PM.

humbbug

humbbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hmm well i temporaly turned off firewall and norton internet security but i still have Blocked o/s privileges:508:430??? Thats why i think maybe somthing is messed in my o/s????

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Scroll down to Example #7

Resolution fix for 98% of users:

"From a very, very long research process with many users to thank for testing various fixes. We have found that this kick more often comes from a corrupt users profile database, either from a trojan or from the install of zone alarm (most often), or other 3rd party firewall which conflicted with the installation and configuration of service packs."

To resolve XP issues.

To resolve 2000 issues.

Note: The only 100% working resolution for everyone is to reformat and reinstall the O/S, updating all of service pack updates and windows hotfixes\updates before attempting to install a 3rd party firewall.

Just another reason not to use a software firewall. :whistling:

:blink:

humbbug

humbbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have Norton Internet Security Suite, and its on all the users even the new ones. I tried the copying files thing and it didnt work, let me try again and maybe get a scrn shot.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I can understand Norton's need to be persistent.

But, we really need to be able to disable the thing in one easy step.

:blink:

humbbug

humbbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I know it is such a pain in this case there is somthing as doing your job too well. But hey Blaster thx for all ur help the only way to fix it is to uninstall norton which i really dont feel like doing, so ill just play on non pb servers.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
unfortunately if you can't solve the o/s issue with the basic recomendations made. then you will either need to remove complete cod2 and then reinstall or format and reload your os. I know that's rather drastic method to resolve the issues. It is very difficult and sometimes impossible to track down why pb is doing this.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
This is an issue of Punkbuster being denied access to the system by <insertnameofprotectionapplicationhere>. And having said "application" buggering up the users database.

Sometimes, Norton, Zone Alarm, etc... work, most of the time they just get in the way. Personally, I use the stuff between my ears and a "probably unix" firewall to keep me safe.