Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Security Center - Do I Need It?

• Please log in to reply

unpluggedsb

unpluggedsb

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Geeks - I'd appreciate your advice.

Norton Security Center came on my computer. I deleted the Norton trial edition and use PC-cillin for antivirus and firewall. However Norton Security Center is still on my computer and the file SymWCS.exe takes up about 50% of the CPU usage. All it seems to do is tell me that my antivirus, firewall and windows updates are turned on. Does Norton Security Center serve a useful function on my computer or can I delete it using a norton removal tool I've seen discussed on this site?

Thanks

UP

Advertisements

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Yes, you can remove it. Norton telds to use a lot of system resources, and like you said, you've already got antivirus and a firewall.

unpluggedsb

unpluggedsb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks - I deleted it and my cpu usage went down from around 50% to 2 to 5%. It doesnt really make sense to me that that one program would eat up so many resources, when it wasn't really doing much of anything, or am I missing something?

Thanks again.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
I don't know why it was taking up so much CPU usage, but I've heard of and experienced the drain of Notron. That's why I switched to free anti-virus, firewall and other utilities.

Glad you are running smooth.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Just for the sake of adding my opinion, I have had Norton for about 10 years, and I finally dumped it off a few months ago for AVG. What an improvement! Not just in the background, but games were faster, and it boosted my computer enjoyment level! Much better! :whistling: