Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

McAfee Security Update

• Please log in to reply

svevo

svevo

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I recently removed all my McAfee Programs through Add/Remove Programs. I looked for any stray files by typing McAfee in" Find files and folders" and deleted all files. I also removed McAfee from the programs part of the registry. However, whenever I connect to the internet Zone Alarm tells me that McAfee Security Update is trying to connect to the internet. I thought it might be spyware impersonating McAfee but my scans pickup nothing and HiJack This looks ok. Any ideas where this file might be hiding out??? thank you for you assistance.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Could still be bits left in the Registry such as in the 'Run' sections of the Windows keys. Use the 'Find' function repeatedly in the Registry - you may be surprised how many 'hits' it comes up with.

Edited by pip22, 16 August 2006 - 12:55 AM.

svevo

svevo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks Pip 22. I didn't realize there was a find option in the registry but I found it and it brought up the single file I was looking for. Deleted and problem solved. thanks again for your prompt reply.