Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

HDD Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply

The Schurtek Group

The Schurtek Group

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I installed an 80GB PATA HDD I had in the cupboard. It was a Seagate. I wanted to clear off all the files so that I can pass it to a friend to use. I connected the HDD as a slave to my one and only PATA cable. DVD-RAM was Master.

I also have two SATA drives, a 80GB and a 160GB all Seagate.

I needed to copy 55GB of data over to the 160GB. about half way through, I opened Outlook to get an important phone number. Windows Locked up. After about half an hour, I gave up hope and decided to restart...

Now my PC says the HDD is not formatted. I tried in another PC, same story... any help.

I am running Windows XP Pro and I have a pure Intel Motherboard with a P4 HT 3.2GHz processor and 1GB RAM Dual DDR. Nothing else in the machine.

PS. It also freaked all my USB devices, which I had to re install all drivers for. So I tried re-installing drivers for HDD and controller... no luck... :whistling:

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You could try running the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics program on the drive. Go to http://forums.pcper....isplay.php?f=40 There is a sticky post at the top of that forum which has links to most manufacturer's diagnostics.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
It's not cheap ($90) but Spinrite 6 is the best tool I've ever used to recover hard drives. I've used it on level two and it made formerly boot able volumes boot able and readable again. It stands alone and boots from a floppy or cd image.