Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cleaning Junk on my new PC. What to do?

• Please log in to reply

raffstyle

raffstyle

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Good day!!

I just purchased a new DELL XPS 400 and it will be here by this week.

I know that there will be a TONS of JUNK (pre-installed app.) :whistling: on my new PC, so im here for any suggestion/advice what to do to make my XPS runs fast and smooth. is there any software that i can use to clean up my PC? of course i dont want to reformat it just to solve this... so PLEASE help me to Clean it up.

MUCH APPRICIATED FOR ANY HELP!

Advertisements

Holy Marcell

Holy Marcell

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
The best way cleaning up the PC from jung is formating and to partition new (May be 1 Partition for the OS / one fifor temporary files / one for important data(backups))

Otherwise it could (will) help to remove the preinstalles Software:

Control Panel ==> Software.

Cleaning up the autoboot should help, too.

Greez,

Holy Marcell

Holy Marcell

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Double Posting. Sorry.

Edited by Holy Marcell, 16 August 2006 - 05:17 AM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
So whenyou get your new computer see what programs and software comes with it

Because those programs or software need to be activated and registered

there only trial runs anyway like for instance WILD TANGENT GAMES

so dont want to start deleting and removing programs that might have a effect on your updates in your computer removing them might take away an important update for your computer

sure you can otain a update but on the other hand microsoft might charge you a fee for any update you need

microsoft updates can be free when they first distribute them but if they are for several programs and you remove one of the programs that require an update and its removed then you try use another program it wont allow you too.
so you look for that particular update and thats when you find out it has to be purchased

Im only speaking in general

best thing to do is go too the software distributer or where the program came from send them a e-mail inquire about removing there product

if they say do it in the add and remove programs then becareful if you see a pop up that says removing this update with such and such a program do you wish to proceed then just click no avoid cliking yes but DO NOT CLICK YES TO ALL

Gazza G

Gazza G

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
http://bhandler.spac...e.com/blog/cns/

Click above and scroll down to the post from 8th August. It's about what the guy did when he was setting up a new dell PC - involving changing or removing 29 peices of software and applying 34 windows updates. Whether or not it will help, I don't know :whistling: It's the blog site from the sticky in this forum about the free windows software list.

raffstyle

raffstyle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for the reply guys... i really appriciate it, ill try to your advice.

does any one of you heard about. PC DE-CRAPIFIER?? i think it really made for dell pc. to clean new pc. thanks again. ill post the result when i get my system.

Waldos

Waldos

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Do not download that program, check the User Reviews:
http://www.pcworld.c...1/download.html

The best you can do is a clean install of Windows. (personal opinion)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The best you can do is a clean install of Windows. (personal opinion)

There is one problem with this suggestion. If you format and use the recovery partition it will reload everything just like it was brand new which includes all preinstalled software.