Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer can't find Netgear router

• Please log in to reply

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I recently switched to a Netgear router from my BT one because we needed more than one ethernet port in the back, after following the instructions provided on the CD the router was connected to the computer and internet fine, the correct lights were lit up but for some reason the computer could not detect the router even though the router recognised a connection and the computer knnew that it was connected to a network cable. The router is a 54MBPS Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router with 4-port 10/100 Mbps switch. Please help me I'm really confused :whistling: Thanks in advance.

Edited by inferno_blaze, 16 August 2006 - 04:44 AM.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Let me get this straight, you have a Netgear router, which you are trying to install, however, when you insert the CD, it goes through its process, but it eventually says that the router is not connected, even though it is, right?

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Yes that is correct (thankyou for replying :whistling:) I've posted on another forum (PCGamer UK tech) and so far nothing has worked, I've tried logging into the page with the correct name and pass but just get page cannot bedisplayed even after resseting the router, the router recognises the connection, just not the comp.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ok. My computer didn't like that CD either. When you plug the router into the computer, in your browser, type in: 192.168.10.1 it should give you the login window, yes? Enter for the username: admin and for the password: admin When you do this, what happens? Page cannot be displayed?

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Yep I get page cannot be displayed and you got an extra 1 in that web address, I know what you mean but if someone else is learning from this...

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Is the last 1 in 192.168.10.1 not necessary? It works for me... That's the router IP address. Your computer IP address would be 192.168.10.2 or above. It's strange that it says Page Cannot be Displayed... Have you tried resetting the router back to factory settings by pressing and holding that button in the back?

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
NoI meant it's 192.168.0.1 not .10.1 isn't it? and yes i've tried resseting it.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
No, for me it's 10.1 . That doesn't mean that yours can't be different though... Try both. Tell me what happens.

EDIT: I should probably be more specific... Does only one of those addresses give a login box? That kind of thing.

Edited by Stormknight6, 22 August 2006 - 02:05 PM.

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Haven't tried 10.1 and won't be able to till tommorow (UK time) but i'll certainly try and 0.1 gives me a login, I doubt this is the problem though.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I'm not sure, but it's worth a shot. It works for me, so that's all I have for now.

Advertisements

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Well wiht 10.1 it comes up wiht nothing, I've been discussing this on another forum and they've been giving stuff to do however none of it has worked, I guess we'll just have to return it at this rate.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
What are they telling you to do with it?

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
A bunch of stuff like asking for the network options information, resetting it 10 times, I can't remember.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, I'm afraid that I'm out of ideas. I highly suggest calling Netgear for assistance (I had to, because I knew nothing about networking before lol ) As long as your router is under 90 days old, they shoud help you for free. Good luck, and keep us posted :whistling:

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Yeah thanks for trying anyway :whistling: