Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP - Hard Drive not recognised

• Please log in to reply

revenge100

revenge100

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hi there,

Due to registration problems i tried to reinstall XP pro on my PC and it crashed half way through. now when i try to reinstall it again it can not locate the hard drive.

I have put a tempoary secondary hard drive and the PC runs OK ( after installing XP to that drive) and picks up the old hard drive.

Obviouslly this is not ideal since it is a lot smaller drive and it will mean transfering the old programs over (e.g Microsoft office) since they are refusing to work from the old drive.

Have you any suggestions? :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Most of the hard drive makers have semi-lowlevel formatting tools you can download and run from a floppy or a cd. Western digital is the data lifeguard tools, Seagate has the Seatools, Maxtor has the maxblast software. What i use here is the tool that writes all "0"s to a drive so everything is cleared off the drive. After that you should be able to use a XP cd and fdisk and format the drive so you can install windows. This has worked for me a couple of times when the XP cd just would not see the drive. Usually every time i have bought a new HD i have been getting a CD with these tools on it. They do come in handy once in a while.

SRX660

revenge100

revenge100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Cheers SRX660, will i be able retain any of the information on the problematic drive or do i have to just transfer as much as i can be formatting ?

Edited by revenge100, 16 August 2006 - 07:48 AM.

revenge100

revenge100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
OOD

Edited by revenge100, 17 August 2006 - 03:58 PM.

revenge100

revenge100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hi there,

I have formatted my hard drive but get the message NTLDR missing, can anuone advise me on the next stop please :whistling:

gavsou

gavsou

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey, if it says ntrld missing you need to insall xp or check your hard drive cables.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi revenge100...

Was it the "problematic" drive that you formatted? Have you reinstalled the operating system?

(I hope your moved your data to another drive before you formatted)

wannabe1

revenge100

revenge100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
hi there,

yep it was the same problamatic hard drive i was working on previouslly (seagate barracuda SATA ultra model ST32 00822AS) and yep i backed the records i neeeded. 1

I have tried to run the SATA drive disk i was given but this does not seem to be recognised :whistling:

is this what you mean or is there an alternative operating system?

When i tried to install windows it gave me the same drive not found message again :blink:

Any thoughts :help: