Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Cooling + PSU Installing

• Please log in to reply

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Im currently thinking about getting Sapphire ATI Radeon 800GTO 256 mb, and i heard that it really heats up.. so how do i remove or even attach a aftermarket cooler like Zalman VCF VF900-CU VGA Fan GPU Cooler?

And about the PSU, i currently ordered a new 550 PSU, but i dont know how to take out my old psu and install my new psu. is there a tutorial or maybe some tips on how to remove it and install it?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not a video card geek so i wont go into the first one

but the psu is usally pretty easy...

just unpllug all the wires taht are coming out of it from whatever they are plugged into (remember that some of these plugs have clips that you have to squeeze to unplug them)...then there are usually 4 screws on the back of the computer that release the psu...pull it out...then slap the new one in...put those 4 screws in and plug the connectors from the psu back into all the places that the old one was plugged into...and hope for the best

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
The Stock HSF will be quite easy to remove, all you need is a screwdriver. Once you take off the stock HSF you will be greeted by the thermal grease which can be cleaned of with 99% isopropyl alchol. Clean off the chip and all the ram chips on the board, and then install the VF900 and all the ram sinks. I have the vf900 and it cools very well, a word of caution, the vf900 does not plug into the card, it requires an avaliable 3 ping power fan connection (the same type as your cpu fan) on your motherboard. So check to make sure you have one of those on your mobo. installation is pretty straight forward, follow the insturctions and you will do fine takes about 30 minutes with the cleaning of the card and the installation of the vf900.

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
what should i clean with? a rag? or with paper tower or some sort? and does it have to be 99% isopropyl alcohol? cant i be regular hydrogen peroxide?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Wouldnt reccomend hydrogen peroxide its a quite reactive chemical not advisable just some alcohol, it doesnt need to be a certain purity but not drinking or mineralised, white spirit also does the job nicely i use some cooton wool to get it off.

As far as i know the GTO wont be all to hot the vf900 will certainly cool it down ive got one on my XL(a hot version of the x800) and it does great.