Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Trouble

• Please log in to reply

shadow88

shadow88

• Pip
  • 9 posts
What was happening was whem my computer started, the ram count wouldnt stop, it went to like 9999, i thought that overclocking messed it up, so i reset the bios. Whats happening now is that, the computer stays on for about 1 min, then turns it self off. I then cant turn it back on untill i turn off the psu then back on again.

im hoping this isnt a motherboard problem, but if it is i guess ill replace it later. I have a 480 wat psu and its not overloading cause its only powering the mobo and the dvd drive

Any ideas would be great thanks alot.

Advertisements

Holy Marcell

Holy Marcell

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Replace your RAM, please. Then go to www.memtest.org and then run a Memtest as described. (Run it like 4 hours) Post us an error-report.

Greez,

shadow88

shadow88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Just added a clean 1gb stick into the comp from a known working one. Comp ran for about 1:30 (1 min 30 sec) and then it shut off.

Holy Marcell

Holy Marcell

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Do you mean an "U3"-Stick with OS? Or just an USB-Stick?

shadow88

shadow88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No, i added a 1 gb stick of ddr3 ram to replace the other to see if that was the problem.

Holy Marcell

Holy Marcell

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Did you test all the slots for the RAM-Stick?

If so you have to replace the Motherboard.

greez,

Edited by Holy Marcell, 16 August 2006 - 01:11 PM.

shadow88

shadow88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well, thats what i want to make sure, that is is infact the mother board before i go and buy another one. Thanks for the help then,

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Just because you are down to a minimum of hardware it doesn't mean the powersupply is good. In my experience the number one cause of PC issues are caused by the PSU. Use a known good PSU and see if the PC boots. youv'e tried a known good stick of RAM so that isn't the issue. after the PSU you need a known good CPU of the same socket to test the mainboard. If that passes then you cpu is toast and to be expected since you were OCing it.

shadow88

shadow88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
k, thanks for the tip, ill see if i can find one in another comp i have before i go spend money on a new mobo. I was thinking that it could of been the RAM slots them self that were bad, but it could of been a bad stick or somthing , not sure.

Ill give this a try now and reply.

shadow88

shadow88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
So far so good, im installing windows, comp has been on for over 5 min, and no problems. Thanks alot for the help you guys, this saved time and money.!!!

EDIT:::

Well, i was wrong :whistling:, it turned off again... so i guess its the motherboard

Edited by shadow88, 16 August 2006 - 01:06 PM.

shadow88

shadow88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
2 Reasons i think its the motherboard...

1. Before i reset the bios, ithe ram count wouldnt stop, it went to like 999999 when it was counting up.

2. After the comp is on, (Good psu, good RAM) and it turns off, i cant turn the comp on using the power button. I have to turn the PSU off, then back on and the comp will turn on. Since the ram is fine, ill just go find a cheap mobo.