Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Mother Board

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Okay Here is the deal.

I have a eMachine T1842 that had XP home in it. I had my MB go out on me. So I replaced it with a new one. I then started the PC and windows would start. So then I was told that I would need to reinstall windows. I tried to run the recovery disk that came with the computer but it wouldn't work. I had a copy of XP pro (not legal) so I put it in for now. But I don't like not having a legal copy of windows. So my question is this. Is there any way to get my recovery disk that was sent with the PC to work? Or am I just going to have to break down and buy a new copy of windows.

Edited by duley3, 16 August 2006 - 12:48 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you're going to have to break down and buy a new copy of windows i'm affraid....recovery disks (especially emachine's disks) are tied to the system (very heavily tied to the motherboard) usually you can replace small HW on the machine (like the HD or video cards) and not have an issue...but when those recovery disks don't see the MB that they were expecting...they tend to assume you're trying to use it on a different machine...wich would violate the EULA...(i would imagine that the disk says somewhere "for use with emachines modelX only" or something to that effect)

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Okay Thanks I guess I'll get a new copy of windows and dump in it.

Next Question. I have windows xp pro now. What if I buy a copy of windows xp pro and try to put it in? Will all my other programs be lost? Or can I just install over what is in there now?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you SHOULD be able to just do a repair installation of XP (instructions bellow) to replace the pirated windows that you have with the legal windows as long as the xp you buy is the EXACT same version as what you installed (i.e. xp pro or xp home, and SP1 or SP2)

Repair the Windows XP installation.

To do this, follow these steps:
  • Make sure that the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive is the first priority startup device.
    See your computer documentation for information about how to do this.
  • Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
  • When the instruction to "Press any key to boot from CD" appears, press a key. Your computer starts from the Windows XP CD.
  • When the computer starts from the CD, the system verifies your hardware, and then prompts you to select one of the following options:

- To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER
    - To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
    - To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

• Press ENTER.
  • Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.
  • A box lists your current Windows XP installation, and then the computer prompts you to select one of the following options:

- To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.
    - To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.

• Press R.
You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards.
NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Okay Thanks for all of your help.... Can I get an upgrade (like if I was going from windows me to windows xp) or do I have to have the full version of window XP?
About how much would it cost?

Again thanks for all of your help with this matter.