Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Logging onto network problem

• Please log in to reply

hcaoc7

hcaoc7

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

We have a handful of laptops trying to connect to our domain (domain name HHS) the laptops were successfully logging into the domain and then we went to the windows update site and updated them all with the various updates each one needed. Several of these laptops are a year old and have been able to log onto the domain with no problems over the course of that year, and others are brand new this year, but logged in fine before we updated them.

The update is the only common thread I can think of. The new ones needed as many as 41 updates while the older ones only a few.

Problem: If I try to log on to the domain as the administrator I have no problems I log right in and everything is good. However, if I try to log in as a genereal user (example smithd, last name first initial) then a message telling me "The system cannot log you on now because the domain HHS is not available" appears.

I know it is available because while logged on as admin.. I can browse the network and access drives on our server. I can also log on to the individual laptop as admin.. of that computer then browse the network and find the server, when I try to access the server it asks me to log in and a dialog box pops up I enter my general user name and password and I can log right into the server that way.

I updated several desktop computers at the sametime which are also configured roughly the same way and I am not having these problems they all work fine.

The desktops are connected with cat5 cables and the laptops are connected via wireless.

Thanks for the help

Advertisements