Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Problem

• Please log in to reply

CanadianMetal16

CanadianMetal16

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
This morning i went down to the store and bought all the components i need to build my own system. Ive never built one before but i had a friend help me but he doesnt know everything. I put it together an hour ago and when i turn it on it just beeps theres no signal output or anything. We were both kinda confused because there was only one ide port on the motherboard and the cd drive and the hard drive are both ide. My friend just had a pci expansion that had an ide port on it so we plugged the cd drive into that and the harddrive into the ide motherboard. Were 90% sure we have all the connections right. The setup is:

ABIT KN9 SLI Motherboard
Seagate 400gb HDD
GeForce 7900 Video Card
AMD 64 3500+ processor
Just some 54x memorex cd drive
500w atx power supply
2x 1gb patriot memory

Any Help Please

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you are getting beeps have you checked the error code list to find out specifically what the problem is. I would ditch to PCI card for the moment just connect both to the IDE(usually a bad thing it slows the HDD but you just want it working so not a problem you dont even need to connect the HD to make sure its working just the cdrom and a liveCD is all you need), although its unusual to get only one IDE you usually get two although given the increasing popularity if SATA hard drives most only need one these days(have you checked on all the boards edges some boards wont have all the IDEs in the same place).

You are using an AM2 cpu with the motherboard? and DDR2 ram.

CanadianMetal16

CanadianMetal16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
yeah, i just talked to a friend he just said plug the hdd into a sata port and the cd dive into the ide port but im positive it only has one ide drive and yes its a am2 cpu and ddr2 ram

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you have a SATA hard drive then it should definately go into the SATA port.

CanadianMetal16

CanadianMetal16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i dont think its sata idk the whole things at my friends house right now but is there any better alternative to having to use the pci adapter? also, if there isnt an alternative, what should i plug into the pci adapter the hdd or the cd drive?

Edited by CanadianMetal16, 16 August 2006 - 07:14 PM.

CanadianMetal16

CanadianMetal16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i dont think its sata idk the whole things at my friends house right now but is there any better alternative to having to use the pci adapter?