Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reinstalling xp

• Please log in to reply

makka

makka

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all!

Just a quick question.Unfortunately a while ago my geek friend install a not genuine copy of XP Home 2003 and obviuosly, I'm paying the price for it now.a couple of weeks ago, windows advised that my copy wasn't genuine, not knowing what to do I left it until it stopped to work properly. No I can't even connect to internet to purchase the genuine product.
Last night, I tried to intall XP home 2000 (totally genuine&legal) and it just keeps saying that my not genuine copy is newer than the one that I'm trying to install.Then I tried to copy all my documents to a cd, not to loose them & proceed with the intallation and that didn't work either.
What can I do? Will I have to sacrifice my documents and intall the XPHome 2000 all along?
Can someone help me, PLEASE!I don't know what else I can do.Certainly, not letting my friend touch that computer, that's for sure!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi makka...

Let me gather a little information...

Do you have more than one hard drive installed on your machine?
Is the CD you are trying to install from currently installed on any other machine?
Do you have the product key for the CD you are installing?
When you try to install from the CD, what is the last screen you see before the install aborts? (Refer to This Guide...Figure #??)

wannabe1

makka

makka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Wannabe1,

There's only one HD. It's my home computer.I have the not genuine copy that has blocked my access to anything that involves windows.
To make things work again I was just trying to install XP home 2000 but cause my fraud versino is newer I don't want to loose all my documents.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
About the only way I can think of to get rid of the illegal software and still recover your documents will require a second hard drive.

You would install the legal XP on the second drive (installed as Master) and use that to recover your files from the current drive (installed as Slave).

The other option is formatting and reinstalling the legal operating system...you would lose all the data.

makka

makka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK, I'll let you know what I end up doing.

By the way, THANK YOU SO SO MUCH for your help (I'm at work and I forgot to thank you b4)

Have a great day!!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure! :whistling:

If you need further assistance with this, please ask...we'll be glad to help... :blink: