Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer Build

• Please log in to reply

plecorich

plecorich

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I am going to build a gaming computer but am a complete nooby when it comes to it. So I would appreciate any suggestions as to compatability and suggestions on the parts below:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer

MSI K9N SLI Platinum nForce 570 SLI Athlon 64/Athlon FX SktAM2 DDR2 ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, RAID/Serial ATA Retail

Asus EN7900GT TOP GeForce 7900 GT PCI Express 256MB DDR3 Video Card w/Dual DVI-I, VGA & HDTV Retail

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4600+ Socket AM2 (65W) Retail

Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2GB Kit DDR2-800 XMS2-6400 Xtreme Performance Memory Retail

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (Full Version) Single-Pack OEM

Antec SuperLAN boy case

(completely open to power supply possibilities)

I am not looking to spend any more money on the computer as am already over my 1000 dollar budget.
Am I going to need any extra fans/heatsink for these parts?

Thanks for any help

Richard

Advertisements

_MiG_

_MiG_

• Pip
  • 9 posts
*wishes he had your budget*

As long as your motherboard has pci-e slot(s), then i can't see any major hassles. Myself, i'd probably put at least a 450w psu in there. You might find a performance increase by going for a pair of 160gb drives, but with s-ata, i don't think there'd be much. Advantage to a pair of smaller drives is that you can put them in a RAID array, but i've never played with that, so i won't advise you to do it.

IIRC, Antec have pretty good cooling in their boxes, so you should be alright there. The worst case scenario is another couple of 8cm or 12cm case fans, which would set you back about $5-10 AUD.

Another possibility is to get a pair of lower grade video cards, ensuring they're identical (a must) and SLI them. I haven't played with SLI either, so i don't know much about that, either.

All up, it should be a niiice system, though.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
SLI and RAID are both bad ideas so dont think about them using two smaller ones to get better performance is pretty much rubbish you end up spending more and its just a hassle same goes for video cards, that case comes with two Antec 120mm fans allready you just need to mount them(gel mounts supplied), PSU an Antec, thermaltake, Tagan, enermax anything with a decent brand and over 450W you are fine. All else looks fine.

plecorich

plecorich

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok thanks very much both of you for your help just a final question... where would you suggest I get the parts from- is newegg.com fairly competitive pricing?

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Newegg has competitive prices, but they aren't always the lowest. They are more known for their fast shipping and quality customer service. You can also check out monarch and zipzoomfly for price comparisons. That's assuming you are in the US.