Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bizarre connection issue

• Please log in to reply

dh1134g2g

dh1134g2g

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Computer:
Model: HP dv8000t
Router: Linksys GT701-WG
Adapter: Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

This problem has been endlessly frustrating and utterly confounding for me. I'm set up on a wireless network with 2 other computers (1 other wireless). After the computer has been on for, say, an hour or so certain websites stop loading. I know it's on my end because they are reputable high traffic websites like google or wikipedia, and they all go down at the same time.

I also know it isn't a problem with the wireless connection because the problem persists even when the computer is wired directly to the modem. It doesn't seem to be an issue with the modem because restarting the modem has no effect and the issue does not occur on either of the other two computers in the network.

It's not like the connection goes down, eithe. I always have programs that require a connection running in the background and they never have issues. I know that these also aren't the cause of the issue because the problem persists whether or not they are running.

I've called my ISP a few times (Qwest DSL) but to no avail. They had as little idea about the solution as i do. After all, I've never heard of anyone else with this problem.

I know it isn't my browser, because although I usually run Firefox the issue occurs simultaneously on both Internet Explorer and Netscape. I'm sure it isn't any kind of firewall issue because I've disabled every one (only temporarily) and that has had no effect.

I've tried setting up a static ISP and have tweaked all settings I felt safe altering. I have updated the drivers, updated every browser and have installed all Windows Updates.

The only thing the works is restarting the computer, but it is extremely inconvenient to do so every 15-30 minutes.

I have done everything in my power and have exhausted virtually every resource available. I really have no idea what the problem is.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello dh1134g2g and welcome to G2G,

Please follow this link. After you have been cleared from the Malware department please return with a link to a clean HJT Log. Thanks.