Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Recovery Problems

• Please log in to reply

I_dunno

I_dunno

• Pip
  • 2 posts
After I did a System Recovery I ended up with some errors that wont't let me use basic controls.

When the computer first boots up it tells me cannot open pconfig, then while trying to download Winsockfix on this site I get The following error;

Internet Explorer cannot download WinsockFix.exe from www.geekstogo.com

Internet Explorer was not able to open thisInternet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.

Can some one please help...
Other errrors include; Error5: Access is denied,
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Favorites is not accessible.

Access is denied.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
was it a system recovery or a system restore

system restore can be during any time period

system recovery can go back to the day your computer was bought if you have hp pavillion

try going to your internet options and under the security tab click default for internet ....local intranet...default...trusted sites ..default....and restricted zones..default...click ok

also make sure geeks is allowed through your firewall settings it probably is but check to be sure

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.microsoft...mp;Hash=4DH6CG6

try to download that

http://www.stevengou...ftware/cleanup/

or that

or GO start...click run... type in.... prefetch..ok..go to edit upper left corner of page...click on select all... then on any blue file ..right click then delete

Edited by rushin1nd, 19 August 2006 - 09:55 PM.

I_dunno

I_dunno

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I wasn't able to download any thing from the links. I get the same error whenever I try to download any software from a site, cd, or even a jump drive.

Also when windows first boots up I get an error from
sgtray; An error occurred while trying to open pconfig.

I did do the delete in prefetch.

I also tried the linksafter prefetch, and I still get the same exact errors I did when I tried to download winsockfix, just with a different name.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
you may need your xp cd to fix pconfig this is a boot up problem

try to boot from your WinXP CD, and choose the 'Repair' option