Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD drive not working; plz help!

• Please log in to reply

drizzledrizzt

drizzledrizzt

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Well how it started was that I restarted the PC with the drive out and when I logged back on it was no longer recognizable by windows. I clicked on My Computer and it doesn't appear there. The only CD drive in my device manager is my virtual dvd-drive for mounting on alchohol 120%. I tried this site for help HP and Compaq - CD or DVD drive is not detected steps since it's the same cd drive that came with the compaq PC. I dont remember what kind it is.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You could try running the cd gone patch. Go here http://www.geekstogo...ne-t109781.html

drizzledrizzt

drizzledrizzt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok I ran the RedEdit and Merged thw CDGone reg file, but my CD drive still does not appear anywhere. Thank you for helping and anymore help would be nice if possible.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If it still does not show up after running the patch, check the hardware connections (power, EIDE cable) and the jumper settings. Does the drive power up when you boot the computer?

drizzledrizzt

drizzledrizzt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have double checked all the cables and connectors, the drive, etc at least 4 times now. The drive powers up perfectly fine like there is nothing wrong with it. It still opens, and loads whenever I close it with a disc. I thought this would be a malware problem or something like that but cleaned my system of it and still the problem occurs. Im worried that if I buy a new drive, it will still not work, I want to make sure that doesn't happen.

Edited by drizzledrizzt, 19 August 2006 - 08:03 PM.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Try swapping the IDE cable.

:whistling:

drizzledrizzt

drizzledrizzt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ill do that, which I havent tried yet. Ill get back to you.

Ok, I don't have an extra IDE cable, and the one to my hdd is too small. I dont have the money to buy another cable atm, so I tried switching up the jumpers and that didn't work.

Edited by drizzledrizzt, 19 August 2006 - 09:32 PM.

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
plug all the stuff in and reboot...
enter the bios, go to disk priority
select one of the priorities, and see if the drive thats missing is there.
change it back to the original and press esc.
dont save changes

if the drive was there, it bios detects but windows cant.
if it wasnt. something with HARDWARE is wrong.

drizzledrizzt

drizzledrizzt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
ah I forgot! The bios detects it, BUT its just a big space as the drive name. It doesnt say [NONE] or whatever it just says [ ]. Which only means that the hardware connection is correct, its got something to do with windows.

Edited by drizzledrizzt, 19 August 2006 - 10:25 PM.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
The drive name should show up in the bios. I will bet you dollars to doughnuts it's a bad cable.

:whistling:

drizzledrizzt

drizzledrizzt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
My Primary IDE channel is my hdd, which shows the drive name. everything else besides my secondary ide channel is [NONE] and it is just a space

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
a space
that means it detects it but cannot communicate with it.
so try to update ur bios. get the download from the manufacturers website.
takea apart alll connections and do them again.
reboot
check the bios again