Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All games running like garbage

• Please log in to reply

Asmodean

Asmodean

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay, I posted this problem about a year ago and it was never resolved, because it was a weird and obscure problem.

Basically, any game that I try to play runs like garbage. It doesn't matter if its new or old. From Doom 1 to Doom 3, they all run like crap. By crap I mean they will freeze up or jerk around. It's especially evident in first person shoots when lots of stuff is happening at once, or in say an rpg if you click on a menu it will sit there for 10 seconds and the sound will skip repeatedly before it goes to the next menu, and it does this in more than one game as well.

Anyway, I just bought a new video card and upgrade my ram. I figured maybe because I was still using older and slower ram in a newer mobo it would be the problem. Nope, everything still runs like garbage. So I narrowed it down to the motherboard, thats the only thing left that hasn't been replaced. I need you guys to come up with any other advice. like, I'm gonna try a format and a reinstall of windows here and see if that helps.

Do you think it could be the onboard sound somehow interfering?

Also, do you think I should even bother filing my mobo under warranty if it turns out to be the culprit? Some people are telling me that its technically not defective, because the mobo works, it just won't run games. AAAAAAARGH.

If you guys can save me having to go buy a new mobo which I can't afford, I'd love to hear your ideas.

THANKS!

Advertisements

_MiG_

_MiG_

• Pip
  • 9 posts
If you're running onboard sound, you should be able to disable it in the bios. This will tell you quick smart if it's a sound card problem. If so, a new card's about $30AUD for a cheapo one, which will get you out of trouble (and probably be better than onboard anyway)

Another thing to check for is hard drive fragmentation, though if you've gone out and bought new bits, you've probably done that.

Edited by _MiG_, 17 August 2006 - 07:00 AM.

Asmodean

Asmodean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yeah, I have a fancy defrag program that I use frequently. I used to have a sound card but I could hear a "tick tick tick" sound whenever I watched videos or played games. I'll turn it off in the bios and let you guys know what happens.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I had a similar problem a few years ago and the solution was embarassingly simple. My case and fans had gotten really dusty and there wasn't enough air moving through to cool the processor. So, when playing games which were CPU intesive it would overheat and put itself into thermal protection, thus causing the freezing and skipping that you are describing. So, you might want to check your fans and also see how hot your CPU is running when you are playing games.

Asmodean

Asmodean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay, so I just did a format and a reinstall of windows. Everything was running fine, but its back to the same way it was now, I dunno why. Also, when windows boots, there are flickering white lines that flash every now and then while the screen is black and switching in between loading screens. Is this bad?

Thanks.

p.s. I just blew out dust from my case yesterday with an air compressor

Edited by Asmodean, 17 August 2006 - 12:56 PM.