Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Would a laptop de able to run AutoCAD?

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
im looking for a laptop that will be powerfull enough to run AutoCAD

i relise that i will have to upgrade the RAm and im happy to do that

1) is CAD as resource hungry as what people say it is??? and what should teh laptop have in order to run it?

2) will intergrated graphics be able to run it seens that CAD is only a 2D application (im not talking 3D CAD)

preferbaly i would like the laptop to have standalone graphics but i think that might be a bit out of my price range so im just wondering if intergrated grahics would be able to run it with 1 gig of RAM (128 allocated to the graphics)

3) and what would be better AMD Turon (64) which ahs a 512 L2 cache or intel core solo/duo/M???
Which has a 2mb L2 cache ( the reason i ask is because a guy told me that the reason the intel has a larger cache size is so that it can compeate with the AMD which is 64-bit compared to intel CPU's

and 4) i no that dell desktops are the worst things ever but what about their laptops???

thanks for your help i just dont no what would be better Build a desktop and trasport anything via a usb flash drive or hard drive or purchase a laptop to take notes with-run CAD and use teh internet from my room ???

thanks guys

troppo

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I learned to use AutoCad on an old clunker with integrated gfx and it ran it fine and it was recent Autocad to 2003 it wont have gotten suddenly over resource hungry and it doesnt change enough for even old version to go out of date that quickly so you can always get an older version, CAD isnt at all demanding on the gfx card or even the system as a whole a decent amount of memory helps though, but its not all to demanding its about on a par with photoshop and runs fine on dell desktops not that i would get one, dell laptops are ok.

I go for the transporting things on pen as i have easy access to computers anywhere at my uni and i like a powerful desktop at home, but you get really cheap laptops these days so you can sometimes have both.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
i totally agree any salesman has told me that "oh to run that you deffinetly will need to run standalone graphics" just to scam more moeny outta me

i had a feeling that its not graphics intensive at all because its only a 2D application
but what about 3D CAD??? 3D CAD isnt like rendering or anything is it its pretty much just colours and 3D block objects???

im a little unsure about that but i just thought i would ask

ive been looking at a couple of cheap laptops and what im thinkin is that if i get a cheap laptop for other stuff and then any intensive CAD work do it at home. and im sorta thinking of build a new core 2 duo system but it seems like a shame considering that i built this machine about 18 months ago

ill compile a laptop list when i have some time
thanks warrior scott

troppo

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nah auto cad 3d is just wire modelling its a little more intensive but not all that much unless you creat something in horrendous detail and size, you arent using textures and alot of 3d rendering but unless its one of the really old crappy gfx chipsets youre fine on that front as well.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well i spoke to friend of mine (my girl friends dad) and he uses CAD alot at work he said that it doesnt take up much resource at all
he said that he can also multitask when using it

i had a feeling the guy at the store was trying to suck my money :whistling:

but im still a little "up in the air" do i spend $1500 AU on a pretty slow ish laptop
or do i build a core 2 duo system for just a little more and then trasport any thing i need on a flash drive because i really dont thik anything i will be doing will be any more than 512 if not 1 gig of space thats just ridiculose

what do you think i should do warrior scott ???

build brand new system or get a laptop for the portability??? what would you do in my situation???

thanks for the help

troppo

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i dont know your exact situation im assuming we are talking uni or college something along those lines? personally i went for the pen transport because the laptops arent light and they are back breaking when added on top of books and any lab stuff i have in my bag. Ive had no hassle with a pen drive its probably easier because you dont have to boot a pen everytime you want to use it and find a power outlet and wifi hotspot all i need is a PC of which there is loads at uni in computer labs and libraries i can always get to a PC. And the PCs have all the software i need and printer access which is ok priced, it works well most of the guys i know with laptops they never leave there rooms and alot of them have bought pens or portable hard drives or keep there stuff on the uni filespace to access in any uni computer or online using gspace things like that.

Ive got a 1gb which is useful i can take all my files, some music and all the apps i need or even a full OS with my files as well, bigger is nice though a 1 or 2Gb pen now i nothing and they are getting really small these days.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
look thats pretty much what i have been thinking,

why pay $1500 for a slow, annoying, heavey laptop when in reality for a few hundred dollars more i can have a core 2 duo system for doing the CAD workand not to mention gaming :whistling:
plus it will be vista ready and all will need to do is buy a cheaper grahics card until the release of DX10 and then buy a mid range card (how ever much that wil be)
what i will also do is set up a wireless network in my home so that i can use the ointernet from my room with one modem and i can link the printer up to it aswell

thats fairly easy to do isnt it
just connect the modem to the wireless router, then buy a wireless card for the new system
but can the system that teh family uses have a wired port as in through teh ethernet? or does it have to have its own wireless card even though teh router will be right next to the computer so that i can be reached with a cable?

i hope that makes sense lol

i have had some really trouble finding a core 2 duo motherboard that is full ATX thats not expensive have you heard of many releases coming out as in motherboards????

the ones i have found im not to fond of they dont really do what i want for teh price i want to pay cause i dont really want to pay $300+ AU for a motherboard

what board would you recomend???

thanks for your help and advice and yep you were on the ball it was for uni :blink:

troppo

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Unfortunatley mobos are horrendoulsy expensive for intel(more complicated than amd boards) ill try and look for a cheap one not in any state to shop at the mo. At the moment my PC is wireless and the family one is connected wired to the router(wireless router so its all in one). I havent had alot of networking success but ive never really tried and its home on one and pro onthe other which seems more complicated.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well im seriously thinking aout just building the core 2 duo system its better performance for the same price or just a little more

i have found motherboards that are cheap but they are all micro ATX and i dont really want one of thoose if i can

what are abit and asus boards likei have seen a few cheap ones of them

thanks for the help

troppo

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There is much choice other than abit or asus.

smalls101

smalls101

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I'd just like to add, we use Autodesk inventor at school as a 3d CAD program, and that thing is about as graphics intensive as anything I have ever seen. The brand new p4's with a gig of ram have a [bleep] of a time with even bean bag chairs. It runs smoothly with simple parts modeling, but once you get into combining them, like making houses, it runs probably at close to a frame a second. And that is on what was probably a $2000 computer about a year ago. If all you are doing is 2d modeling though, i have run programs like autocad on my old p3.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
warrior scott:
i have seen the selection in AUS but it seems that if i want anything that is not ATX then asus or abit is the only ones that isnt $300+ when i build thisit will probably be in like 3 months or something hopefully there will be more choice out there when the time comes to buy my parts

Smalls101:
any 3d CAD work that i will be doing would be like sort of "block" drawing nothing heaps 3d intensive and when i build this system i will bewaiting for DX10 and then hopefully i will be able to get a mid range card that will be able to handle 3D CAD with ease

what i have been looking at is

Core 2 Duo E6600, 2.4 Ghz, 4Mb cache 64-bit or the E6400 2.13Ghz, 2Mb cache 64-bit (proabably go for the E6600 purely just because of the performace gain of the 4Mb cache size) and i also plan to overclock it a bit

motherboard: not sure as of yet
RAM: 1 gig corasir value select DDRII 533/667Mhz (in dual channel)
HDD: 250 GB seagate 7200RPM SATA 2 with a 16Mb cache
GPU: for now a radeon x1600pro (unitl DX10)
and all of the rest of the stuff.

so with an overclocked E660 1 gig of RAM (could go to 2) and a 250Gb SATA 2 drive that would be able to handle any 3D application for allittle while with a DX10 GPU wont it???

what do you think

troppo

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Itll handle it easy, AutoCAD is a well designed app its very efficient it wont have a problem half the problem with some CAD 3d packages is they arent efficient and try and incorporate texturing in as well, autoCAD can only do wiremodel style 3d work last time i checked which isnt all that intensive and a modern system wont have a problem with it.

Looks pretty good youll definately come out cheaper with a desktop than a lapper and youll get decent HD space and a decent sized monitor.

Hopefully there will be nf5s out by then and thatll lower the prices of whats about now and they should be reasonable priced as well.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
thanks for the input warrior scott,

now it just comes to the waiting and the saving game....

hopefully by the time im ready to buy all my parts there will be a greater selection of motherboards with cheaper prices and hopefully DX10 wont be to far away.

thanks once again warriorscott

troppo