Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATA controller card problems

• Please log in to reply

ghall426

ghall426

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My motherboard only has 1 PATA slot and I have my CD and DVD drives on it. Additonally, I have 2 SATA hard drives on the motherboard.

I have purchased a Sabrent ATA-133 controller card to attach 2 more PATA Western Digital 80GB hard drives. When both are attached to the primary slot, the computer freezes upon windows booting after the desktop appears. I can attach both to the secondary slot, or use 2 cables and put 1 on each shot and it works fine. I have tried using CS as well as master/slave settings too and it doesn't make a difference.

I came across a cheap Adaptec controller card so I thought I'd try it instead of the Sabrent. The computer boots fine but every 1-2 minutes I get a 2 second freeze of the computer - mouse and any application that is running freezes for a couple seconds. I found this behavior only occurs on the primary channel. If I move the drives to the secondary channel it works fine.

Why am I having this problem with both cards on the primary channel? It is sharing IRQ 18 with PCI-e root port and a USB host controller, but this is the same no matter which channel the cable is attached.

I have tried different cables and changed which hard drive is the master and slave, still nothing.

Any ideas?

Greg

Advertisements