Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Massive First Boot Problem(s)

• Please log in to reply

apritske

apritske

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi,

Yesterday, after waiting with baited breath, I finaly got my new motherboard (ASUS P5N32 SLI SE) and processor(Core 2 Duo E6400) and so naturally I started putting together my system. Everything went fairly well, I was pretty delicate with the hardware, I was grounded the whole time, etc., etc.

After some trial and error I had enough hardware hooked up to try a first boot. I turned on the power supply, turned on the front power switch and was very encouraged to see all of my fans running (front fan, both ps fans, gfx card fan, and after a little troubleshooting, my mini liquid cooling system fan). At this point I knew that my power supply worked fine, and I had an inckling that my motherboard was ok too because all the 3 pin fan connectors were relaying power and the power led on the motherboard was steady green.

Herein is the problem: no matter what I did, I could not get and response on the monitor nor any BEEPS FROM THE PC SPEAKER! I tried clearing the CMOS like forty times: no response. I checked to see if the speaker was plugged in to its four pin bay - no response. I tried swtiching out my cooling system for the factory heatsink: no response. I tried removing my memory and video car: no response. At this point I was baffled and pretty angry so I called ASUS tech support, I was on the phone with the guy for about 2 seconds before he told me to try getting a new motherboard, CPU, and power supply.

I'm going to call Newegg and try to get them to replae my parts around 12:00 or 1:00 Eastern Time, but before then I figured I'd ask here.

There are a couple things I think might be screwing me:

1. Newegg advertized that the mobo supports up to DDR2 800, however the manual only mentions a maximum of DDR2 667 - still I would think I would get a memory beep code if this was the problem.

2. This is the one that most concerns me: The first few times I powered on my system, I let it run for about 30 or 40 seconds without realizing that my colling fan was not turning so there's a chance I fried the CPU - but I don't think so because I would assume that the motherboard has a thermal failsafe.

Please Please Please, If you have any advice, let me hear it, I so don't want to send back for a new mobo and CPU...

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you pull the memory and vid card and still get no beep errors with a working and properly connected speaker its a good sign of a motherboard fault so i would send that back if that is the case, Asus are getting a pretty bad rep these days for DOA boards.

apritske

apritske

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
d'oh :whistling:

apritske

apritske

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Do you think there's a chance I fried my CPU by running the system without the cooling fan on? I didn't notice anything strange when I examined the chip after dissasembling everything.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its possible i wouldnt imagine so if the mobo is duffed its possible the CPU was never powered up. Youll find out when the new mobo is sent to you.

apritske

apritske

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
true, true, thanks scot

just as a point of clarification cuz I don't really know my way around hardware all that much, the fact that power is relayed through the mobo does not mean it's not dead?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No there is alot of parts and it just takes one for it not to work but the rest of the basic function should still work, fans often work independantly from the rest of the system so that even if its not working properly there is still cooling .

apritske

apritske

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Cool, thanks scot, I'm a little calmer now

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Did you plug in all the power connections the motherboard needs, and in the correct way? There's at least 2, possibly 3 depending on your power supply. It sounds to me that the correct power connector for the CPU may not be plugged in (it's a 4-pin connection off to the side, it should be near both heatsinks of the north and south bridge, close to the external I/O area.)

Also if your power supply is 20+4 pin, it makes things a little more confusing. With the last mobo/powersupply I worked with, both the extra 4 pins to supplement the 20 pin connector and the CPU power connector were physically interchangeable, but when switched did not work.

Edited by MNOB07, 17 August 2006 - 12:05 PM.

apritske

apritske

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Yep, everything was connected.

I sent the mobo back, hopefully it was JUST the mobo.