Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive shutting down

• Please log in to reply

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Hi! :whistling:

The hard drive (80 GB WD ATA 100) on my brother's computer keeps shutting down and starting back up, so I'm assuming that it is bad, right? The cables look fine and everything (cables, jumper, etc.) is connected properly. There were a few errors including "No OS found", Windows\System32\config\system Missing or Corrupt, etc. I don't think it's the power supply because there are no other symptoms pointing to it. Is my assumption correct, or could there be another cause that I should check out?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
It may be going dead. You can try running the manufacturer's diagnostics program on it. Go to
http://forums.pcper....isplay.php?f=40 and see the sticky post at the top. It has links to most hd manufacturer's diagnostics.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Thanks, but the hard drive kept shutting down even faster than before (now to the point where by the time it starts to spin up again it shuts down) and it can't run the scan.

Edit: I think my brother is getting a new hard drive today, so I'll install and it give an update.

Edited by Pi rules, 17 August 2006 - 07:37 AM.