Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

remove windows genuine advantage tool

• Please log in to reply

okeee

okeee

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
For win xp sp2. win version is legal, as it is already activated and windows genuine advantage tool has already been installed, as well as some updates.

On pc: windows genuine advantage tool has been installed to get all updates, except, 'windows genuine advantage notification' update. How can I remove windows genuine advantage tool, as I have already all updates?

I certainly do not want to install 'windows genuine advantage notification' update, when watching the list of updates, I saw only 1 update for windows genuine advantage notification, is this correct? The other 53 critical updates are then really necessary?

Edited by okeee, 17 August 2006 - 10:35 AM.

Advertisements

Holy Marcell

Holy Marcell

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
There is no reason to do not accept the WGA if you have a legal copy of XP.

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I already installed windows genuine advantage tool. I did updates and want to remove windows genuine advantage tool.

Holy Marcell

Holy Marcell

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello there,

please check Control Panel ==> Software. Or try out this article from the MS-Knowledge-Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921914

greez,

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I meant windows genuine advantage tool, not windows genuine advantage notification. I did not install windows genuine advantage notification.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The only problem with removing the Advantage Tool is that it'll be the first thing that's downloaded again from Windows Update or Automatic Updates. Microsoft seem to be insistant on you having this update before you can get anything else.

The easiest solution is to just leave it, it's not going to cause any harm.

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
without any updates installed, when watching the list of updates, I saw only 1 update for windows genuine advantage notification, is this correct? It seemed there were more versions of this update.

Edited by okeee, 18 August 2006 - 02:20 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This tool was re-released a few times by Microsoft for various reasons, I'm sure I've ended up downloading it a few times before any other updates have come down. But anyway, you need it before you can get any other updates as its part of Microsoft's programme to limit the security updates to users without genuine Windows.

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
yo
just keep the dang thing. windows seems to be introducing newer software every month. and all of them require the "genuine" crap. if u want just disable all updates. but dont take it out. If you need anything from the microsoft.com site, mostly likely you wont get and if you do get it, its not gonna install.
to disable updates: Right click "My computer", Go to automatic updates tab and then select "do not download or install updates"

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Since WGA hasn't flagged your OS, as pointed out leave it alone. If you wish to get away from the MS update why not use AutoPatcher. Since I maintaine between five to eight XP machines (depends on the amount of testing I do as to which will actually be up and running at Patch tuesday) I find downloading once and either burn to CD or set as a network share then deploy is faster plus you can decide which patches and enhancements you might need or leave out. The August release of AutoPatcher is complete from the release of SP2 so it's a rather large download (250+MB) but everything is there, from critical updates, recommended updates,optional udates (including WGA), the complete collection of MS Power Toys and various tweaks you can apply. The monthly updates lag a week or two behind Patch Tuesday and can be downloaded. That allows time to see if anything breaks after a patch cycle.

As far as removing WGA try http://www.google.co...G=Google Search . I've read that the first one works.

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Auto patching and other programs like that may screw up ur computer more.
be responsible when you use them.