Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Should I use XP 64 pro?

• Please log in to reply

den01

den01

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi,

I have just checked MS website and actually found out that XP 64 is maybe better option than current XP pro. I have AMD 64 Athlon 3000+, 2GHz with 512MB ram.

Would you please advise me should I run XP 64?

On MS site it seems that only 120-days trial version of XP 64 is available to download? Am I right?

Also, there is nowhere price for it (or Im missing something). Is there possibility to upgrade my XP pro to XP 64 pro?

Thank you for any suggestion and advice.

Regards,

Den

Advertisements

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi,

I have downloaded XP 64 pro three months trial version for MS website, but I will not install it until you guys advice me to do so.

I have some questions as well:
- What would happen after 3 months trial when it expires? Is there a possibility that I will some serious issues with my system? And how actually I can purchase it online (as for now I can that on MS site)
- I have 2 phisical HDs, both are same size and same partition sizes (HDs of 120GB, with partitions 40 and 80 GB). One partition on second HD is empty, so maybe, just to make it sure (if you advice me to install XP 64) can I somehow make a image of C (copy everything including my current XP) to this drive (C drive and available partition are same in size 40GB)
- please if for both question you advice me to go for it (install xp 64 and make the copy of C) is there some free (or cheap) software I can use for making the image of c to new partition.

Thanks you for help and advice.

Regards

Den

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Are you running any 64-bit native software? If not, there's really no reason to upgrade, especially with Vista due out so soon. There are some performance differences with 64-bit Vista, little if any with x64 XP.

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Thank you for your reply.

Well, I dont know about software, but my initial answer would be no I think. I mean, all my software is working perfect right now, and PC is actually running very good. (some driver issues that I had before was sorted out with Keiths help on few occasions)

I will wait than for Vista.

Thank you. Regards

Den

PS. At the end a question and please only if you have time as this is not too important:
Lets say if I want check the driver updates should I look for drivers for x64, and also I have Framework 1.1 should I have 2.0 maybe? Thank you.