Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Storage of Monitors

• Please log in to reply

MicTar

MicTar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a few monitors that are not currently being used and am wondering what the best way to store them untill theya re needed.

I have been given conflicting advice:

Some have said screen down to prevent it from being broken, others have told me to set it like it would be when in use to prevent internal damge.

Also I have been told to both cover the monitor and to leave it uncovered.

If it had been a situation of one person saying one way and the rest saying another way i would not be wondering, but it seems to be a 50-50 thing.

Also is their anything else I need to do with these monitors to ensure that they will be functioning when i get PC's for them?

~Posted Image~

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
here's my 2 cents. cardboard boxes and stryofoam do wonders for storing computers an monitors. The orginal pacakaging is usually the best choice, but you probably threw them out. If you have a cardboard box that's big enough you can put the monitor in there but make sure that it doesn't move around. as to covering... there's really no need cause if it's in a box no dust can get to it. If you don't have a box, then simply leave the monitor the way it is, (normallly no screen down or other fancy positions) and put a sheet of plastic or cloth over it to prevent it from collecting dust.
p.s. just as a thought if you have enough desk space and a decent vid card, you can use the monitors and setup some dual screen goodness

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I have to agree with the post above. If you won't be using boxes or anything, I would say to set them down the way they were meant to be stored, which is the same way it would be set on a desk... To me, if you set them screen down, you're more likely to push down on it somehow and crack the glass against the floor... Just seems like common sense to me...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A dark dry environment is really all you need, sunlight will damage the screen and moisture keep it away from those and itll be just fine.