Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Apache, MYSQL PHP

• Please log in to reply

Rothers2005

Rothers2005

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
hi peeps

ive just got my college modules through the post and database driven webpages are on there so i though yea il buy a book on the subject (php + mysql for dummies and get a head start) but the 1st wall has been hit ive installed the programs in the order of:

Apache
MYSQL
PHP

if that makes a differance and i get a message from the PHP install saying i need to edit the apache file, the best friend 'google' came out with lots of sites with information but a lot contridict themselves :S

please if anyone can help i would really appreciate it

i have Win XP Home

thanks in advance

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts
You are setting this up on XP Home?? :whistling:

I am assuming this is strictly for local testing of PHP modules or local PHP pages?

While I normally would push for Apache, in this case you might want to install Xitami. It will probably configure itself easier on XP Home...

If this is for a webserver that will be internet accessible you will need to get it off of XP Home.

Rothers2005

Rothers2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
the reason for installing the apache and MYsql and php is for tasks such asa pratice online catalouge, a webpage with member only access with all files on my PC, it is just to learn the basic of PHP and MYSQL not for anything real at this time

but i was thinking of setting my 2nd pc up with suse would that be better??

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts

but i was thinking of setting my 2nd pc up with suse would that be better??

Absolutely... Linux is well suited for this and what I would suggest in the first place.

This might give you a heads-up on what to do/expect:

http://www.inotch.com/lamp

Rothers2005

Rothers2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
cheers for the advise and link but is there a way of installing it on windows for the time being??