Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What could happen?

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
If I'm using a copy of windows that OI got from a friend does this make it illegal?. I would also like to know what could happen to me or my system by using this, if MS finds out? I really don't have any other options right now or I would buy my own version.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
for starters until you get legal you won't be able to get support from us at G2G.

If your liscence key is blacklisted you won't be able to get updates. Windows Genuine Advantage will kick in and let you know you are running an illegal copy.

You have two options, contact microsoft and they will help you become legal. Yes it will cost you the purchase of a liscence but you won't have to rebuild your system.

2)purchase a retail copy and call micrsoft and they will walk you through the steps to get legal.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Okay Thanks,

I planed on getting my own copy, but it wasn't going to be anytime soon. I have a different system that I can use. It's just very slow and doesn't like me very much.