Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
It takes almost a minute for my Outlook Express to open for use.

Have tried Outlook but just do not care for it.

Have tried fixing/installing from XP-Pro disc this program but no change in problem

Have checked to make sure my account is set up correctly - it is

Have tried to use the Add/Remove Windows Components to address problem; either I do not know how to use this feature or it did nothing for my problem

This occurred right after my tech had 'cleaned my PC' and suggested I try IE 7.0 due to 6.0
continually giving me script errors and closing programs down.

Tried 7.0 but found it so confusing and different, despite some neat features that it has,
I quickly uninstalled it and it automatically reinstalled 6.0 -- but did nothing to resolve the
Outlook Express problem

Have reached the end of my ideas for problem resolution and so asking for help/suggestions

Using a Dell XPS400 Dimension
OS - XP-Pro SP2
Ram 2 GB
CPU - 2.80 Ghz

Do you need more PC info?

Advertisements

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Want to add that of late when I post on forums, the notation I receive with the link to the forum and my post - most often does not work and I have to search for my post manually. Another problem with OE

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi nondaj...

What Anit Virus software are you using?

wannabe1

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Am using Trend MIcro. Came with the PC when I got it in Jan. of this year - part of the package so since it came for 18 months had to take though I prefer Zone anti virus software.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Not thinking fast enough - again the link did not work in the notification email from you. Had to search for your reply by hand logging in and coming to my post.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Norton can sometimes cause these problems. Since that's not involved, we'll look elsewhere.

Is IE set as the default browser? Open Control Panel and double click on "Internet Options". Unser the "Programs" tab, make sure IE6 is selected as the default browser. "Apply" any changes you make and reboot.

Try the links from Outlook Express.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Did as you suggested and though it did not work or resolve any problems, I did discover something. By putting on that 7.0 IE, it changed all the icons. Even though I now have 6.0 installed, the 7.0 icons remain. So am now wondering if the slowness of Outlook E. and inavailability of email links plus other odd things going on re my PC such as screens slow to open or they open queerly, solitaire games do not act correct - is all this affected yet by that installation of 7.0?

And would I be better off deleting the 6.0 entirely and then reinstalling it? I also notice the Search feature on my PC is not operating correctly. It will denote no files left when I do a search after deleting a program and then I still find many of deleted program files everywhere on my PC.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like there may be some deeper issues.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd and click "Ok".

At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". When you are told the volume is busy and asked if you want to run this on the next boot, type Y and press "Enter". Reboot. This will take a while...be patient.

Let me know if this check finds and fixes any errors...it will be a vague report. (ie: chkdsk found 1 or more errors...)

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
OK ran the chkdsk and unfortuantely at around 80 percent I had left the room to do a chore and when I came back, it had completed. I thought it would have left some kind of message but if it did so I did not get it because it rebooted.

So did I do something wrong or miss the crucial info? Problems seem to still remain. Before the installation of 7.0, I had done a defrag and disc scan via the My Computer, C, properties path if that means anything. I had not done the complete disc scan just the recovery of lost sectors. Should that be done next or is that what we just did?

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
An email friend has suggested that the many PC problems I am experiencing might be because of the many icons I have on my desktop. Especially the slowness of my PC. I only have 12 icons but then it dawned on me I have many many many files in folders on my desktop so that if one counts each file as an icon - I indeed of huge amount of icons on desktop. And I do frequently get a message - do you want to clean your desktop of icons or something to that effect.

Just throwing this into the hamper as a possibility for cause of my problems which now are:

links in emails will not work at all
OExp. still takes nearly a minute to load
some solitaire games do not function right
Search feature definitely does NOT catch all files
Attachments now are not opening even though file associations exist
icons are from 7.0 browser not 6.0

have to say though that these problems did not exist before I went through the 7.0 experience of trying and then reverting back to 6.0

So am at a loss now as to what is causing all these situations.

My only thoughts now are to delete 6.0 and reinstall
Do away with many many of the files in folders on my desktop

And your thoughts?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The desktop icons have no complicity with your problem. The "Desktop Cleanup" feature will only remove icons you haven't used for a while and is activated by time, not the number of icons you have displayed.

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Am confused - there are 3 programs there at your link for Repair. They all seem to be selling a product. The scan may be free but have esperienced programs like this that after they locate the problem, they want you to buy the product.

Can advise further?

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
What about just a plain Windows restore? Wouldn't that fix things?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
A System Restore to a date before IE7 was installed may help, and it is worth a try...providin the tech that cleaned your machine out didn't clear the old restore points. Clearing restore points is a common practice to eliminate unwanted files from the machine.

A System Recovery will wipe the drive and you'll lose all your data.

The repair deletes and reinstalls system files and components. I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone using this method...install fresh system files and reinstall IE6.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The link I provided should take you to instructions (provided by this site) to accomplish the repair...it takes me there. :whistling:

I hope you are not being redirected...that would indicate a malware infection and could explain a lot of this problem. Can you copy/paste the URL from the address bar here for me after clicking the "Repair" link I provided?

Edited by wannabe1, 18 August 2006 - 02:13 PM.