Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
will to use the Repair link you offered but there are 4 programs there - which one do I use and will the download do the repair or will I have to buy the program to do that?

Advertisements

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
when I click on the link it takes me to a page where there are four option for XP repair - and they all seem to be selling programs? Am I missing something here?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I edited my last reply....post me the address you are ending up at. There is nothing for sale at the link you are supposed to end up at...it's another G2G page.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
when I click on the link it takes me to a page where there are four option for XP repair - and they all seem to be selling programs? Am I missing something here?

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
You know since the links do not work in my emails maybe they are compromised here as well?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you get to the page you're ending up at, copy the address from the address bar and post it here for me.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

this is the window I get

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's the right page...I'll bet you're clicking "Start Here"?

Just follow the procedure on the page you get to by clicking the link using your installation cd...there's nothing you have to purchase to do this. Your only investment will be the time you spend doing the repair. :whistling:

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
I am sorry but I am not following you at all. I clicked on the word "repair" in your message post and got that window with THREE programs re fixing windows - which program am I supposed to use?

and when am I supposed to put my windows disc in my drive?

I have to have step by step directions because I just am not following what you are saying I am supposed to get

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hang on just a few minutes and I'll put together the instructions and post them here... :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Boot from your Windows XP CD. Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer. When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message appears on the screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

A blue screen will appear and begin loading Windows XP Setup from the CD. When it completes loading files, you will be presented with the following "Windows Setup" screen, and your first option. Select "To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER". DO NOT select Recovery Console.
scrn_1.png
When presented with the screen below. press the F8 key to continue.
scrn_2.png
When you see the screen below, select your operating system if it is not already selected and press R.
scrn_3.png
This will appear just like a fresh install, but will actually repair the current installation.

Edited by wannabe1, 18 August 2006 - 07:20 PM.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Have typed out your instructions and will attempt to follow. Sure hope it works and I really need my PC this weekend - school starts next week and I need to do a lot of work these next few days.

Will you be around in case of need?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Absolutely! :whistling:

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
OK later on tonight will try - am on West coast and it is dinner time here so when I am finished will give this a go. Sure hope I do well and my PC does not go down altogether or I will be in a fix.

Think this is better than a restore?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In your case, yes.

This is actually a pretty easy operation. The worst part will be getting all the updates again when you finish... :whistling: