Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Sounds good to me. Will download Spybot in the meantime, follow your 'here' link and bide my time. Sure hope I can come up with what went wrong so I can avoid same in the future. And will not add/delete anything until all is clear.

Advertisements

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Have done something in error - was following the suggested programs in that link to download and try: Spybot S and D, Ewido, Trojan Hunter. Since then my MSN Homepage has gone to a blue screen entirely with just a listing of programs on left hand side that can hardly be read.

Can advise what to do to get back to the usual home page of MSN? Have tried all I can think of but it still remains. Thanks very much

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
on what download cause blue screen

Ctrl.....Alt.....and delete ....click applications

what running there

hightlight the first one and click end process

if it was trojan hunter
remove it from your add "n" remove programs

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
skip trojanhunter go straight to step 5

you pretty much have the rest you dont need service pack 1a

or those other antivirus programs

just do the hijack and post it in the malware forum

Edited by rushin1nd, 19 August 2006 - 09:28 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Control Panel and double click on Internet Options. What address do you see in the "Home Page" window?

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
It is the default address now because I deleted Trojan Hunter and Ewido programs - one of them and I think perhaps the latter caused the blue screen for MSN IE. Must have done something in error in installing one of these programs.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Forgot to say that Spybot S and D scan brought up a file, Spy Hunter. Where it located that I do not know because I had deleted that program and done a search that elicited nothing re files.

This was the program that the tech had installed. Know nothing about the program but perhaps that maybe what caused many of my problems?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmm...Trojan Hunter is a good application, but is not really a necesary one unless you need it.

So your page now loads normally?

The one application I thought you should add to the arsenal was Spybot S&D...you can have it immunize the system and protect it from bots...the others you can run and remove. If you need them again later, they can be reinstalled.

I asked loophole to check your log, but he signed off before he got my PM...I'm sure he'll be on again soon. If you haven't posted a log yet, wait until we hear back from him...they're busy enough in that forum and just because I didn't recognize a few items does not mean they are malware. That's why I asked the expert... :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The hit on Spy Hunter may have been a false positive...it happens. Again, I defer to the expert. :whistling:

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
The only log I have posted is the one I sent you in a post here. So ready to post again wherever needed, just let me know.

Yes MSN IE is loading normally now. And will remember Trojan Hunter and Ewido to use for scanning and then uninstall.

So will bide my time and like you, wait for the expert's opinion.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
loophole has given you a clean bill of health...are there any new developments we need to address?

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Everything seems to be working fine now - only problem which seems to be getting better as time goes on is I would say my computer over all is sluggish. It used to 'snap to' when I would logon, open files, use the internet; now it is just reacts much slower.

Re files - I often think I have not clicked correctly and so click again only to be confronted with the program trying to open twice and so have to back out and start agian. It is due to the files opening so slowly.

Not a big issue just a bit annoying since it used to be faster in these areas. But so much improved that I should not complain.

So I thank you overall for your astuteness, links for protection programs, and time you spent following my post and in particular for helping me reinstall Windows. A+ job!

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
ok try uninstalling spybot if its not sluggish then reinstall spybot but keep adaware

try this not sure if its useful but its safe

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Edited by rushin1nd, 21 August 2006 - 10:27 PM.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Already have that tool from MSN. And since the PC is getting better as time goes on will just wait and see what happens. Your idea is surely worth a thought however.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
well thats good to here ill just sit back and follow your posts and wont interfere with the experts who help you

GOOD LUCK