Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Thanks for your assists along the way

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type prefetch, then press "Enter", click "Edit", then "Select All", (all files will highlight), right click any file, click "Delete", confirm, then reboot.

Download, install, and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run "Tune Up Disk Clean-up"

Run "Tune Up Registry Clean-up"

Click "Optimize and Improve" to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then reboot.

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors.

The following are suggestions for making the most of the free trial.

After the reboot, click "Optimize", then "System Optimizer" to optimize the computer, select "Computer with an Internet Connection" from the drop down menu...this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click "Optimize", then "System Optimizer to Accelerate Downloads" and select the speed just above your actual connection speed...this also requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click Optimize", then "System Optimizer" to run "System Advisor".

Reboot again.

Any improvement in performance?

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Very interesting and you are keeping me alert and busy. Am typing out your intructions and will get right on them when have the time later on today. Am eager to try them and of course will get back to you to report results. Thanks again.:whistling:

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Have accomplished all you laid out to do. And things are better all way round. However am including info that the System Advisor brought up which I am not clear how to correct. Can help?

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
did you receive the attachment? Always have a problem sending same.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:whistling:

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Should have done this in the first place:

System advisor came up with these suggestions:

lower color depth of computer (monitor I take it?)
do not use auto startup (when that screen come up I always check take no action) enough correction here?
IE has too much memory
Admins. shares are enabled (security risk)
Tm Proxy.exe using high amt. of memory
background image uses resouces (have corrected this)

not real sure how to address the others. Maybe can figure out the color depth of monitor by fiddling around with the buttons on it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You'll find the Color Depth setting in the Display Settings. (Rt click Desktop > Properties)

Let me ask you this, before you change anything. How is the machine running? Is it getting closer to what you are looking for?

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
re color: Have two choice - 32bit or 16bit under color quality.

And re the rest of PC performance - hey I am satisfied; not broken so why fiddle around and "break it"!

That Tune Up program so impressed me, just might buy it when the trial period is up. Would like to get away from having to rely on PC techs were I am at. I think every and anyone who can operate a PC hangs out his shingle as a PC technician. Ego be d---- half the time I know more than they do.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That IS a pretty slick application, isn't it?

If you're happy with the way the machine is running, leave things as they are. None of the things the Advisor listed was critical. Trust me, you would not be too impressed with 16 bit color... :whistling:

After you've used it a while, if you want to do a little more tweaking...we can do a few things, but use it for a while and see how it does.

Edited by wannabe1, 22 August 2006 - 06:19 PM.

Advertisements

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
AMEN! Thanks for all your help along the way - really has been very fruitful for me and a good learning process.

Starting back to work (teacher at a college) and so will be using the PC for school business and lesson plans. The new speed will be very helpful.

If I want further help here can I contact you or must I just post and work with whomever?

THANKS THANKS THANKS

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Feel free to contact me... :whistling:

The pleasure was mine! You've been great to work with.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Same here and will look for you when problems arise again. OR may just send you a hi-how-you message off and on and keep you posted re progress.

Been a real pleasure on this side of the PC also:)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Absolutely...please do! :whistling: