Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

dell dimension 4700

• Please log in to reply

baka101

baka101

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

I was given a Dell Dimension 4700 to upgrade the Serial ATA-150, 7200 rpm, 120GB.

My question can you remove the HDD like any other PC and put in a new SATA HDD or not, because I don't know much about Dell PC's can they be upgraded or not, because I was hoping to buy a wholesale
SEAGATE barracuda 7200.9 250GB NCQ SATA2, 3.5LP, 16MB, 11MS, 7200RPM and replace the existing HDD.

I did search the forum for anything Dell but didnt seem to find anything on dell upgrades with non dell parts, I wish there was a tutorial involving dell computers like if you can upgrade with non dell parts etc.

Thanks

Baka101

Advertisements

baka101

baka101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't like DELL, HP or COMPAQ computers myself either as I know the problems associated with all of them, and I personally would never buy from any of these makers.

But unfortunately the person I am repairing for bought the computer way before I was able to advise against it, as her brother gets DELL PC's in cheap and I guess the offer was to good for her to pass up. Yes a horrible mistake which many around the world could associate with.

But I really need your help on this matter as I have no idea if I can buy a wholesale computer part like the HDD I mentioned and install it and know if it will work.

Thanks

Baka101

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Since it seems there is already a SATA HD in the computer i would think a simple replacement and reinstall of windows would work. You will have to do the F6 thing in a XP install to load the SATA drivers again. Hope you have a floppy drive in the computer so you can load the sata drivers. If not, you can look on the internet for how to load sata drivers from a cdrom.

SRX660