Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Computer: New software

• Please log in to reply

quintessenceanx

quintessenceanx

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have just (finally!) finished building my new computer, which I have christened Phoenix. I have been looking into various AntiVirus software options, and I noticed that while Norton (which I have on my laptop) is rated well on Consumer Report that another program, BitDefender, was rated even higher. I looked on BitDefender's web site and noticed that they have a free version as well as a Client version. My school currently offers access to Symantec Corp. Ed 10 or Symantec Client Security for free. I was wondering which of these is the better option? Should I stick with the Norton, or switch over? One of the things I've noticed with Norton is that it is a really pain in the... registry.. to remove. Does BitDefender have similar problems?

Also I am looking at the AntiSpyware stuff. Now I am aware that, unlike AntiVirus programs, you can successfully install multiple antispyware programs on a single computer. I personally opted for the Beta versions of Microsoft AntiSpy (now Windows Defender: though I must admit I like the previous interface better) on my laptop, but now I'm starting to look into different programs such as SpyBot, AdAware and SpySweeper. I noticed that SpySweeper is rated very high on Consumer Report, as well as something called F-Secure. I've never heard of it before... does anybody know anything about it?

The last major hurdle I am trying to accomplish is how to move the FireFox "favorites" over to the new computer. IE was easier to do this with, as I recall, with every link being its own file. But I have been able to find something about a FireFox html or xml file that stores all the Favorites/Bookmarks. Where is this? On a similar note, thanks to gmail only offering POP and me not saving a copy on the server, where is/are the file/s that hold all the email messages downloaded onto an individual computer? This one has me really stumped.

Thanks for any help you can provide ^.^

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Because i use a single computer to access the internet and use it for nothing else i do not run AV, spyware programs, or anything elso like them. When i have a problem with the puter i just reformat and reinstall since i use norton ghost to make a iso with all programs and setings in place.

Where i can help is the firefox bookmarks. Open firefox and then open the manage bookmarks. Under file you wil see where you can export the bookmarks to a folder similar to the way IE does it.

SRX660