Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nothing on screen, or if it does load it hangs

• Please log in to reply

CleaPet

CleaPet

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi. On the surface it sounds like I have this guy's problem but it's not the same because mine isn't a new build. I had problems with graphics and replaced the power supply, then had more problems, all documented here.

I replaced the graphics card tonight. When I booted up I got one longer beep and six short beeps, plus a no signal sign on the monitor. Decided to go back to old power supply, to see if maybe I ruined the new one. At first it booted up with no beeps, it loaded all the startup programs, but then it hung up on the "Detected New Hardware -- load CD or Disk...". Pushed the reset button and I get the long beep and six short beeps again. Turned off using button on power supply.

Waited five minutes, then tried it again. It booted up with no beeps and loaded all the startup programs (which isn't much, really) and then hung up again. When it hangs I can't use the mouse or keyboard. Tried reset button again and I got the 7 beeps.

I have an ASUS motherboard -- apparently the 7 beeps means a motherboard or processor problem in some brands but I can't find the beepspeak translation for ASUS. But if it's the motherboard or processor, then I wouldn't be able to get all the way through the startup programs loading, right?

I took the graphics card completely out and put it back in again, just to make sure it was in correctly. It's nice and secure so I don't think that is the problem. But, um, when I initially put it in I didn't have it connected to the power supply because my old one didn't need to be and then I got one huge long beep. But I figured out the translation for that soon enough. Please don't tell me I fried a brand new card?!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
heres where Asus beep codes are.

http://www.bioscentr...s/awardbeep.htm

I had a computer that the CPU heatsink was not installed properly and it was getting a bunch of beeps at startup. The cpu was getting hot too quickly. After resetting the heatsink it booted normally. Another computer had a low powered PS that caused continual beeping. A new PS cured that one. I have also had bad caps on the motherboard cause this problem. Check to see if they have rounded tops or are leaking.

SRX660

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
ok so if i understand what ur saying....u put a new PSU in and new GPU... What kind of PSU and how many Watts is it...also what was the PSU before and how many Watts. If you have less than a 200 i would advise you to go to at least 400. I had a similar problem and a 430 Watt Antec PSU Solved it. Also i had to reseat the heatsink. In the end i just build a custom comp b/c i was tired of gateways.

CleaPet

CleaPet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi guys, thanks for your help. I had no idea ASUS was Award when I was looking for beep codes, lol. Thanks.

The old PSU was an Allied 300. The new PSU is an Allied 400. Yes, I realize now that for the graphics card I got I need at least a 500. However, I took the graphics card out of the sister machine that was built at the same time and tried it in my machine with the new PSU and got the same result: 1 long beep and 6 short ones. Installed the card back into sister machine and it works fine.

I'm about to give up and am preparing myself to spend loads by taking it to a shop. Maybe I damaged the motherboard when I changed out the PSU, I dunno. When the computer is running the keyboard doesn't light up unless I jiggle the connection in the back, and then only for a second, so that would be another problem should I ever be able to get a screen.

Phooey.