Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player Error Issues

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I dunno why but when I use my pc and listen to music with windows media player version 10 I get the following error.

Well I'll be using my pc and playing music, and after playing a few songs and choosing new mp3s to open the media player will eventually make my win xp tool bar, desktop shortcuts, and sys tray disappear for a moment... Than it will come back after like 3-10 seconds... It actually shows an error message when it does this. If you would like to know what it says I can try to make the error happen... lol, and show you. But it's one of those generic "windows has encountered and error and needs to close" things or something. When it does come back the systray will be partially open, meaning some programs wont be shown there that should. & internet windows cannot be minimized from the win xp toolbar, you actually have to click on the window to maximize or minimize it.

Anyways this is annoying. Often causing me to retstart my pc just so I know it is fresh. Could this be a problem with other software on my pc? Is it a windows xp or media player bug? What in the world could it be?

Is there a patch or update to fix this issue?

Could it be a plug in issue? Only plug ins on mine are "nero fast cd burning plugin, and windows live messenger music plugin". I never put those there. they showed up there when I installed those programs.

Anyways this has happened to me on the earlier version 9 of windows media player. And it also happens to a lot of people I know. Who knows how to correct this? It is very annoying...

Thanks...

By the way I guarantee you I can re-install win xp and it will still do it. I have tried that. It ain't workin!

Edited by superstar, 17 August 2006 - 11:44 PM.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
were are you downloading music from

online but wih who

cd

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
no. im just putting the music i have on cds on my pc. basically i dont use my cd player anymore. i use the mp3s from the rips of my cds

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Personally , i don't like WMP and will never use it. After trying musicmatch jukebox for a while i did not like they way it handled the files. So i decided to try the music player that comes with the creative sound cards. I am hooked on this program and use it for everything except adjusting recordings. The program is called Creative Play Center. I love the way it rips MP3's from cd's. I still have my Syntrillium Cool Edit 2000 when i want to adjust the mp3's. The only thing i use WMP for is on-line video clips.

SRX660

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
So your suggestion is that I use another player? I do have an audigy sound card, it came with tons of software. Well I still want to know how to fix the windows media player issue.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
>>>>>>> Than it will come back after like 3-10 seconds... It actually shows an error message when it does this. If you would like to know what it says I can try to make the error happen... lol, and show you.<<<<<<

is that wat it says before you the encountered message and needs to close

have you scanned for any virisus

could be an infection you have

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
No as i said this happens to many people and I have experienced it within five minutes of a fresh install of xp. I've formatted different times and this happens even on FRESH INSTALLS OF XP!

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
what version of media play you have

maybe updating drivers in your device manager

did you checkyou device manager from your control panel to see if theres a yellow triangle

try updating the drivers

uninstall them windows will detect the hardware and reinstall them

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
if you read my first post you would know what version i have. there is absolutely no triangle on anything in my device manager.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
why dont you download wndows player media 10 it will overwrite it and should clear up any shutdowns it causes

http://search.netsca...s.../downloads/

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
i have ten. what good would that do though if it will keep happening. i will try on an old hard drive.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
ok you have 10 so its on your xp cd too right

if your reformatting so maybe your reformatting too much everything has its limits

any way GOOD LUCK

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
nah i have winxp home service pack 2 and it only has media player 9. i am not reformatting right now. i am saying i am just going to overwrite it by re-installling it with the link you gave me. that is what you wanted me to do right?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
yes

but you wanted windows player 10 installed but your trying to get rid of errors

right

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
when you reformatted did you remove your audigy sound card from your pc then reinstall it after reformatting was done. then did you install the software after the reformatting was complete.

reformatting should done with original hardware intact and start the reinstalling of hardware and software afterwards. that way you be aviod fewer problems

what version of audigy sound card you have i see several on the internet