Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume

• Please log in to reply

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I recently built a computer and installed Windows XP Home SP2 OEM. The install went smoothly, and Windows worked fine. I installed some applications, and a few Windows Updates. After a few restarts, I started getting the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME blue screen. I have changed IDE cables, restored fail safe defaults in my BIOS. When I ran CHKDSK /R from the Recovery Console, it told me there were too many errors on the drive. When I tried a repair installation, Windows Setup said that there were no previous versions of Windows on the drive. I also tried FIXBOOT from the recovery console, and I received a message saying that the file system of the boot partition was unknown.

Does anybody have any other ideas or suggestions? I am at a loss, and it is quite frustrating. Thanks!

Edited by Tyler5690, 18 August 2006 - 07:59 AM.

Advertisements

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
most of the time when the sectors on hard drive are damaged, the hard drive its self becomes unusab;e unless you have some type of sector recovering software that can repair the damage, but try this, hopefully it helps

go to start, click on run, type cmd and click ok, on the cmd screen type chkdsk /r and press enter. it will give you a messege saying it cant proceed because there is a process in use, if you want to continue after your pc restarts, type Y and press enter

and do exactly the same with this other comand chkdsk /f........... just replace it with the chkdsk /r from the instructions above

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I would try that, except I can't get into Windows. I suppose I will try from the recover console.

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I ran the chkdsk again, and that seems to have taken care of the blue screen for now, but now my computer hangs forever at the loading screen.

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
like i said when the sectors on a hard drive are damaged most of the time the hard is no longer for use. what i recomend its get a new one....... otherwise the pc will be slow and the reason is beacuse the sectors are damaged when this happens the hard drives heads cant read the information properly so it takes a long time to read the damaged files.... once again my sugestion is to replace the hard drive