Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb ports

• Please log in to reply

sophie

sophie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I would really like a usb 2.0 port. I have a firewire connection and usb 1.1. Is there some kind of external upgrade I could make as I have a laptop and do not want to fit a new pci card if I can avoid it. I want usb 2.0 for my photography..................................Thanks

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic- USB 2.0 / Firewire
Date- 6th Oct-2005

USB is defined by motherboard Chipset – either it supports USB 2.0 or it doesn’t – The only option is using a PCMCIA USB 2.0 Card – One item to be aware of – if you have 2 Card slots – Observe where USB Port is located with reference to existing PCMCIA card connection – Usually – not much room – try to find a card that have USB Port offset from the existing card’s input connector –

Firewire is same – Motherboard dependent – either you have or you don’t – again there are USB & Firewire PCMCIA cards-

Being that you have IEEE 1394 – why not use it – Probably is better suited for photography – than USB –
but of course you will need to acquire devices that have IEEE 1394 Interface –

Either invest in new Laptop or New Devices –

This is the problem with PC’s they become outdated fast – Laptops especially since they are harder to update – but are better transportable – Decisions are a beast –

How you use a PC – determines what you need –

Jack123

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic- Download Everest
Date: 6th Oct-2005

Hi again -Here is a good tool – to analyze your PC with -

1st download the Free Home Edition of [EVEREST] so we can analyze your PC – USB Capabilities -
http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Download & Run [EVEREST] & do the following steps to obtain 3 [REPORTS] – from these – will be able to answer USB update/upgrade suggestions better -

Report-1:

1 – Expand [COMPUTER] Folder
2 – Click on [SUMMARY] Folder
3 – On Main Menu – Click on [REPORT] >On pop down menu – Highlight [Quick Report-Summary] >Click on [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [Sophie-CPU-1] & attach to POST

Report –2:

1 – Expand [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
2 – Click on [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
3 – Click [REPORT] >[Quick Report-Motherboard] > [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [Sophie-Mobo-1] & attach to POST

Report –3 :

1 – Expand [DEVICES] Folder
2 – Click on [DEVICES] Folder
3 – Click [REPORT]>[Quick Report-Devices]> [HTML]
4 – Save as File [Sophie-Devices-1] & attach to Post

[EVEREST] will assist you in evaluating your CHIPSET – USB Capacity of motherboard -

Additional info needed –
1- How old is PC
2- This is an UPGRADE from WIN 98
3- Make & Model of PC
4- OS & SP installed
5- How many USB Ports - & List all USB Devices -

Attach the 3 Reports to your reply Post – I do not know how well [EVEREST] works with Laptops – may be limited CPU & Motherboard info (?)

Jack123