Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Problem

• Please log in to reply

Terse

Terse

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay, here's the deal:

I have a computer that will not start up. When I power on the CPU, the monitor displays a message about windows not starting properly. I'm given the normal options, like start in safemode, load using the last known good settings, and load windows normally. I've tried all three options, but all that happens is the computer restarts and I'm given the list all over again.

Please help me, I don't know what to do.

Thanks,

Jacob

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Is there an option to "Disable restart on system failur?" on the options you see? If so, make sure to do that. Then, restart and try again. Do you get an error on a blue screen (sometimes called a Blue Screen of Death or BSOD)? If you do, please write it down and post it here.

Terse

Terse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
no, I don't have that option, nor do I get the blue screen. However, I have noticed that when the computer restarts a blue screen flashes and I've only managed to catch a few of the words on it. It says something like, "..Physical Memory Dump" and then goes to the screen that asks me what I want to do. I've never seen that before.

Also, thank you for your help.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you have a XP cd use it to do a repair install on your system. It sounds like a system file has been corrupted. If all you have is a recovery CD you may have to reinstall windows and start from fresh once again. Hopefully you have backed up important files to a cd or dvd so you can reload them to your computer.

SRX660

Terse

Terse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
*sighs*

That's what I was afraid of. It's a friends computer and he asked me to take a look at it. I told him I needed the CD that came with his computer and he has no idea where it's at. If I go the the Windows website and download the 6 XP Diskettes, is there a way I can repair the computer with those?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
No, the set of 6 floppy disks in the XP boot floppys do nothing more than boot the computer to the command prompt where you can start the install from the CD. The reason there are so many disks is for drivers for every conceivable permutation of computer built because there are 100's of variations.

SRX660

Terse

Terse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Oh well, thanks for the help.

I guess I'll give him the bad news this evening.

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I should remind you that repairing a windows system is not gonna work 100% of the time.
remeber to have a backup of the system before you try anothing big.

Repair works and it works again, but when it doesnt, your system is dead.
PLZ BACK UP