Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

<windows root> system 32\ntoskrnl.exe

• Please log in to reply

jraices

jraices

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried using Easycleaner to clean up registries on my second computer. It also had a double entries clean up which I performed but when I restarted I got a message saying that <windows root> system 32\ntoskrnl.exe was missing or corrupt. I tried to install the XP cd but nothing happens. I can't type anything on the screen to tell the computer to reboot from cd. It always goes back to the same message. The computer is a Dell DImension 4400. What should I do? Thank you in advance for your help!

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Have You tired editing the bios to boot from cd before HD?

jraices

jraices

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No. How do I do that?

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
sorry but my internet wasnt working till today but here i am.

Anyway when you first boot the computer on the first screen press F1 that will take you to the BIOS, using the arrow keys move to the "boot" tab. use the down keys to select boot sequence and put the CD-Rom first, floppy second(if you have one) and HD third. see if that works

jraices

jraices

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Great! It worked!!! Thanks!!!

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Im glad it did and thats what we are here for, but did you reapir windows succesfully??

jraices

jraices

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Good question. Not knowing much about coumputers, when I installed XP it said that I would lose everything on my windows folder so I created a new windows folder. Now that the computer is running, can I erase one of the folders or should I leave it like it is?