Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unwanted window on start up

• Please log in to reply

rogersm

rogersm

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
After switching my computer on a "Systems 32" window appears on my desk top. How can I stop this happening? I am using windows XP.

Edited by rogersm, 18 August 2006 - 11:44 AM.

Advertisements

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
what does the system32 window say .... more details please .... it would be more helpful

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
This can happen when there is a bad entry is in one or more of the Registry's startup locations. Please download this from Kelly's Korner XP. If your anti-malware program asks you if you want to run it, allow it to run, because it is safe.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi rogersm...

Before running any scripts on the machine, let's check a couple registry settings.

Click Start, then Run, type regedit, and click "Ok".

In Registry Editor, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, and click on Run.

List everything displayed in the right pane for me.

Then expand (click +) HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, and click on Run.

wannabe1

rogersm

rogersm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi rogersm...

Before running any scripts on the machine, let's check a couple registry settings.

Click Start, then Run, type regedit, and click "Ok".

In Registry Editor, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, and click on Run.

Then expand (click +) HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, and click on Run.

wannabe1

Hi Wannabe1

Thanks for your reply

It took me a little time to copy the requirted lists as i could not find a way to copy and paste, never mind they are on the attachment.

rogersm
Attached File  List_for_Wannabe1.doc   21.5KB   28 downloads

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It appears to me that the problem is malware related.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions found there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1