Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard hotkeys & Computer Standby/Sleep Options

• Please log in to reply

jeaninbolton

jeaninbolton

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This all started with being unable to access a billing program which used a paragon engine. After a lot of horsing around and actually having a tech access my computer over the internet, was told I had security issues and would have to format my drive. So, the tech while online started the format for me. Everything appeared to go okay, problem now is I have an internet keyboard (Mitsumi) with 15 keys along the top of the keyboard (back, forward, stop, refresh, search etc.) and one of these keys was able to put my computer to sleep. I also can't use Ctrl C or Ctrl V (don't know what else yet). I have XP Pro SP2 and Mitsumi (who were no help at all) told me that I didn't need a driver for my keyboard that XP would recognize it. That should have been the case, but it didn't happen, what is showing up under my devices is a standard 102 keyboard. Getting back to the go to sleep issue, when I go to my Start, Turn off my computer, the option to Standby is not available. The other thing that I have noticed happening is when I start up the computer, I get a rolling blue screen (just for a couple of seconds) before it goes to the Welcome screen. At this point don't seem to have problems starting up, but shutting down does take longer than before. It seems to sit on Saving your settings longer than I think it should.

Since I am just a computer baby (comparitively speaking), I have absolutely no idea how to get around any of this. The keyboard issue is very frustrating since I used these extra keys all the time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements