Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How Do I Disable DLL Authentication

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi,

I have Windows XP Pro. I've had Sygate firewall for the past year (Windows firewall is turned off).

Lately, I've been getting this type of message from Sygate:

The new DLLs have been loaded:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\Scrolling\LGMSGHK.DLL

To disable DLL Authentication go to the security tab under the Tools, Options menu.

File Version : 2003.9.3.1
File Description : YCommon Exe Module
File Path : C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ycommon.exe
Process ID : 0x2CC (Heximal) 716 (Decimal)

Connection origin : local initiated
Protocol : ICMP
Local Address : XXX.XXX.X.XX
ICMP Type : 8 (Echo Request)
ICMP Code : 0
Remote Name :
Remote Address : 66.218.71.63

I would like to disable dll authentication but Tools > Options Menu > Security > Custom Level has no option regarding dll's. Would it be listed under a different name?

Denise

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well, I would approach it diffently. You don't want to exclude dll's because of what they can be used for.

first, logitech drivers include a piece of software called backweb. its a feedback agent for logitech. I would look in add/remove programs to see if this is installed and remove it. Alternatively you could run spybot search and destory to look for it and remove it.

As with yahoo have you set it to be a trusted application?

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Sorry it took me so long to respond to your post but I didn't get an email notification that someone responded to it.

I see where you're coming from, so my mistake. I understood it to mean that it was asking me if I wanted it to do it automatically, not to stop doing it altogether. I don't want to exclude dll's. I want Sygate to either automatically load them or not, as it used to do. When I get a message from Sygate as I mentioned in my first post, most times it doesn't give a program name . . . it'll just say that a packet wants to do something through port 80. Since I don't know what it wants to do but because Sygate is not blocking it, I usually say yes, but I don't know if it's a mistake. I didn't change any settings so I don't know why Sygate is now asking me if I want to allow dll's or packets through port 80. Sygate will ask me for approval to allow dll authentication several times for the same program, or what seems to me to be the same program. If I tell it to allow it once, I want it to always allow it but, from your question which asked me if I have Yahoo listed as a trusted program, it appears to me to mean that if I don't want Sygate to ask me if I want it to download dll's, I would have to make it a trusted program, so that answers that question. Right now, I have nothing listed as a trusted program . . . I removed all of them because I had a virus and a trojan about 3 weeks ago.

But it raises another question. How do I know if I should allow Sygate to allow a packet through port 80? It's coming from my pc and going out, not coming in.

I don't have backweb in my Add/Remove Program list but I do have Logitech Desktop Messenger and Logitech iTouch Software because I have a Logitech mouse and keyboard. I also have Yahoo toolbar and Yahoo Anti-Spy.

I run SpyBot, Ad Aware, PC onPoint, RegSeeker and Dial-a-fix on a regular basis, at least once a week. I run Windows Defender and Microsoft Malicious Spyware Remover in Safe Mode every few weeks. AVG is also my anti-virus program and automatically runs a scan every day. Occasionally, when I think that I may have a problem, I run BitDefender and Panda in Safe Mode with Networking and Trend Housecall, but there are no negative results, not even a cookie because I run CCleaner several times a day. So I'm beginning to believe that my pc may need to either have Windows repaired or reinstalled or be reformatted. My pc is almost 4 years old and even though I take good care of it and I added a 512M stick of RAM, it gets a tremendous amount of use and my processor is almost always pushed to the max.

Denise

Edited by Denisejm, 15 September 2006 - 09:58 AM.