Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need to know if I have a rootkit problem

• Please log in to reply

GeneW

GeneW

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm building a machine for my daughter and teenage grandson.
Had the machine working.
Went to the Internet to download ATI drivers for X1600 Graphics card.
Also downloaded updates for WindowsXP Home SP2.
Sometime after rebooting, the machine started acting strange....DSOD, automatically rebooting. wouldn't boot into Windows. Thought I had a bad Windows install. Reinstalled...wouldn't install. I finally got the machine to settle down. Windows installation went OK, but the DVD drive would not read a CD. When I double clicked on the E: (the DVD drive) it would return an error message that "E:\ is not a proper WinFS application".

The DVD drive will run at high speeds prior to WindowXP loading up, but then will not run at high speed when in WindowsXP.

1. I have reformated the HDD on each installation of WinXP.
2. Replaced the DVD drive multiple times...have a Lito On DVD recorder that does the same thing.
3. Bought a new MotherBoard (Intel 846 Perl, I think) to replace the Asus P8P800E Deluxe.
4. Changed out the 160 GB Western Digital HDD (SATA) with a WD 40 GB PATA drive.
The 40 GB drive would allow the DVD drive to work until I installed both the 40 GB and the 160 GB together at the same time. Now it won't allow the DVD drive to work in WinXP.

With the exception of the first mention of getting on the internet; I have not had this machine connected since....also I had loaded the Firewall and Virus scan prior to that. It is the one that is in System Suite from VCom I think.

I am at work right now and do not have the machine here. But I can download from another machine that is at home. I'm willing to try anything to get this machine going.

I read the first page, but am not sure as to where to start. Thanks for any help in advance.

Advertisements

GeneW

GeneW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Don't bother with this problem....I found out what was wrong...my face is red!!!!

It was a brand new CD that had been scratched such that it would not read that was masqeurading as the previous problem.

I discovered it when applying the various software that was required by this forum.

Thanks anyhow.