Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

speakers and headphones hissing

• Please log in to reply

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Hi everyone,

This problem just started happening. When I plug in my speakers or headphones into my soundcard jack, they make a hissing noise. Even when I'm not playing any music (when I do play music I still hear hissing). My soundcard is a C-Media CMI8738/C3DX Audio Devic PCI. I have Altec Lansing speakers hooked up to the card and I have Sennheiser HD 497 headphones.

I've tried using other speakers and headphones in the same jack, still hissing. I've tried my speakers and headphones in my mp3 player and then they don't hiss. Tried my Mac, no hissing. This must be something with my soundcard.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the hissing?

Thanks in advance,

Emery.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I take it this happens on any given volume for the headphones? I want you to double-click on that little speaker icon at the bottom right of your screen. Next, let's mute the microphone volume. If you don't see it, let me know and we'll find it.

emery

emery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Stormknight6,

Thanks for your quick reply. I feel pretty stupid... Muting the sound was the key. The volume bar was set all the way to ''high'''.

I'll just have to set the system volume to about low-mid volume and turn iTunes a bit higher to listen to music without hearing the hiss.

Thanks for fixing my idiotic problem :whistling: .

Emery.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
It's no problem. I had it when I first started using headsets, except mine was a long squeeling noise. sent me insane. I tried the mic, and hey, looky there! :blink: Glad I could help you. See you around!

(I edited the post to re-phrase things :whistling: )

Edited by Stormknight6, 18 August 2006 - 06:48 PM.