Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Checking new mails in Hotmail/Live Mail using Firefox

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi folks,

After my friends' years long persuation I finally gave Firefox a go the other day and OMG is it addictive!

I use Firefox for everything now. BUT, when MSN Messenger/Microsoft Live Messenger (what I'm using) notifies you that you've got new mails and you click on the notification window IE is by default activated to take you into your mailbox.

Now I've heard of people who can do this via Firefox but how? Is there a registry key that I can alter on Live Messenger to achieve this?

Thanks in advance
Chinofeliz :whistling:

PS - Would appreciate also if someone tells me about the similar trick to edit your Live Space with Firefox after you click on the "your space" button on Live Messenger.
With IE we can go into the Temporary Files folder and dig out the video, music etc. we've viewed online, how to do that with Firefox?
How come when checking a Google cached page, Firefox doesn't highlight the keywords like IE does?

Edited by chinofeliz, 18 August 2006 - 05:43 PM.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there chinofeliz. The reason IE is opening is because it is still set as your defualt browser.

> Open "Firefox"
> Click "Tools" in the menu bar
> Goto "Options.."
> In the "General" Tab under "Defualt Browser" click "Check Now"
> When the message box comes up select "Yes"
> Click "Ok"

You have now completed setting up your defualt browser, please let me know if this method worked.

Looking inside you cache is a bit more tough, this is the directory that you will find firefox cached files...

C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\Cache

Where "xxxxxxxx" is a random text and number string. So because the files cannot be viewed normally we have to download a Firefox extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2489/

Once you have downloaded and installed the add-on, restart firefox. When open Firefox and goto:
> Tools
> CacheViewer

A new window will come up where you will be able to see everything that is in your cache.

I don't really understand your last question, sorry. I don't usually use Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Coool, let me know if these steps helped you. Cool :whistling:

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi Spike Hacker, thanx for the really helpful reply. Fell in love already with the CacheViewer it's so good now I can save all the stuff from cache instead of having to download them again using FlashGot or VideoDownloader.

The first one didn't work out though. I have set Firefox as my default browser but it still doesn't help. When I click on the new mail/space button on Live Messenger it still activates IE instead of Firefox :whistling:

Thank you
Chinofeliz

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey again chinofeliz, I am not to sure if it is possible to open it in Firefox.

We must keep in mind that Live Messanger is a microsoft program and that it will want to use other windows components such as Internet Explorer. But I will keep a look out on some information that may help you and I will then post it through. I searched through registry and couldn't find anything and I looked at Live Messangers Options and couldn't find anything iether. Sorry...

If I do find anything I will let you know. Cool :whistling:

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Yeah it's hard I've gone thru a lot of program settings as well but no luck. But have heard of people opeing up Live Mail box thru messenger using Firefox without a problem so yeah I'm hopeful.

Thanks for all your help

sincerely
Chinofeliz

balmain

balmain

• Pip
  • 1 posts
while on this topic, an issue Ive had (and it may require an entirely new discussion is getting a print dialog box to open in live mail. As I am not impressed by live mail I thought to change to thunderbird only to find that I dont think I can move my live mail settings across though its previous incarnation, outlook express did. I am a recent convert to firefox though I retain IE. Some of these issues seem to be the sticky fingers of windows but really with Live mail they could try harder. there seems to be no help page at all.

Edited by balmain, 28 March 2008 - 10:33 AM.