Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinDVD Creator won't run with "active debugger" in memor

• Please log in to reply

TraeSher

TraeSher

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Trouble_Removing_Command_Serviceand33_Whoops_more_probs-t124072.html

JStngRvr spent DAYS helping me clean up an awful spyware/malware infection (see link above), but now I'm left with another problem of a different sort and was directed to this forum for assistance :whistling:

I use my Intervideo WinDVD Creator a lot, but ever since the cleanup process, it won't start up because it says it can't run with "an active debugger in memory!" I have NO idea what this might be, and NO idea how to get rid of it. Now when I go to Add/Remove Programs, it looks much different than I'm used to. Now most of the programs have the same blue-green icon and when you click them, it opens to tell you only how often the program is used - no option to remove or change or do anything at all with it! There seem to be several things on there that I don't recognize by their names as well.

I have no idea where to start looking for the culprit, and would appreciate some more knowledgable person helping me figure this out!

Thanks in advance,
TraeSher

Edited by TraeSher, 18 August 2006 - 06:59 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well I would use microsoft's msi cleanup utility

download, install, and then run utility. look for windvd creator. highlight by clicking on it, then click remove.

at this point you should be able to reinstall windvd creator. If you do not see it listed in the utility or have problems reinstalling just let me know.

TraeSher

TraeSher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello, starjax, and thank you for helping me with this!

Well, it wasn't listed in the utility - at least, not under any name I would know. There are some things in there that I can't readily identify, so I'm reluctant to delete them.

I tried to manually delete and reinstall WinDVD Creator. It reinstalled, but it still won't start up, though I no longer get the "active debugger" message - now, I get nothing at all. It tries to open (the small hourglass that says the system is working on your request flashes for a second, then disappears.) Nothing else. :whistling:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, I went back and reviewed your post with the spyware. I know hijackthis was seeing "intervideo WinDVD creator".

You did get hammered pretty hard by that spyware. Do you have windows xp on a cd? If you do then I can provide instructions on how to run a repair of your operating system.

TraeSher

TraeSher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
No, I don't have XP on a disk - it came on this PC when I bought it (used) from Rent-A-Center. When I called them to ask if there were supposed to be XP disks with the PC, they said it already has a built-in Recovery system.. on a partitioned drive, D:\ which is labelled HP_RECOVERY.

Do you have any idea why my Add/Remove Programs doesn't function like it should? 7 out of 10 installed programs on the list are those blue-green icons and I'm not allowed to do anything with them at all - and that also happened during the cleanup process, because it WAS working fine for most of it, and I only realized right after we were finished that the icons had all changed and locked me out, so to speak.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
we can't provide a cut and dried reason for why your system now has a "broken" os. Really its not the os, just the registry entries for the applications and how it handles them.

Do you at least have a cd-key for xp on the pc? It should be on a sticker located either on the side or back of the system.

TraeSher

TraeSher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
The only sticker I can find is one with my HP Pavillion Prod# and S/N on it, but I somehow doubt that's my XP registration.

Does this really mean that my OS is broken? I mean, I figured it was just one of these fix-it programs I'd installed during the clean up that somehow didn't get uninstalled and is still resident somewhere - "an active debugger in memory." But with my Add/Remove Programs the way it is, I can't uninstall much. Would a HJT log tell you what is installed/running on my system? Would something like BFU help me uninstall said culprit, since I can't use Add/Remove? Everything else on my system appears to be fine, if that helps.

Would trying to recover my XP be like formatting the drive? Would I lose important files and programs I have?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
its possible. you can post a hijackthis log and we can see whats running, but looking at what you posted on the other thread I didn't see anything.

TraeSher

TraeSher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Perhaps you can tell if there's still a clean up program running that I don't actually need anymore. This wasn't an original problem when I started posting HJT logs, as I was still using WinDVD Creator every night while waiting for responses from JStngRvr. When I posted about it happening, it had JUST failed to start for the first time.. after I started the clean up process with him. :whistling:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:41:28 PM, on 8/20/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Photodex\CompuPicPro\ScsiAccess.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ALCWZRD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntvdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\HJT\HJT.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.subeta.org/news.php
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! IE Services Button - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon06] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcWzrd] ALCWZRD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] "C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe" /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = C:\Program Files\Webshots\Launcher.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycmap.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &SMS - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsms.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: ssl.clickbank.net
O15 - Trusted Zone: www.subeta.org
O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky...can_unicode.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://spaces.msn.co...ad/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitd...can8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {5ED80217-570B-4DA9-BF44-BE107C0EC166} (Windows Live Safety Center Base Module) - http://scan.safety.l...lscbase5059.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1146371638484
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1146604840093
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {9D190AE6-C81E-4039-8061-978EBAD10073} (F-Secure Online Scanner 3.0) - http://support.f-sec.../ols3/fscax.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} - http://download.game...aploader_v6.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Unknown owner - c:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: ScsiAccess - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Photodex\CompuPicPro\ScsiAccess.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

EDIT: I decided to check and see if I needed any more Windows Updates. It said I needed 10 of them, do I clicked to DL and install them. This is the result, all 10 failed... is this bad? It looks bad.

Installation Summary
Posted Image [url="http://"""]Successful:[/url]0Posted Image Failed:10Posted Image [url="http://"""]Remaining:[/url]0Posted Image Successful Updates
Posted Image Failed Updates
For help installing an update successfully, see the solution under each problem description.

Problem: End User License Agreement (EULA) Not Accepted
Solution: Check for updates again and wait while you install updates. You will be asked to accept the EULA before any updates with a EULA can be installed.
Problem: Not Enough Disk Space
Solution: To make more space available, run the Disk Cleanup tool or uninstall any programs that you don’t use. For directions, see Help and Support on your computer.
Problem: Automatic Updates is currently installing updates
Solution: Please wait until Automatic Updates is complete and then check your update history. At that time, if the update has failed to install, you can try installing it from the website.
Note: To view Automatic Updates progress, click the updating icon in your System Tray.
Problem: Please check your update history for a description.
Problem: A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being downloaded or installed
Solution: To fix the problem, try installing the updates again. If that doesn't work, use the Troubleshooter to try solve the problem.</B>
Microsoft Windows XPMicrosoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
Security Update for Windows XP (KB921883)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB918899)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB917422)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB920670)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB920683)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB921398)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB922616)
Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB920214)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - August 2006 (KB890830)

Edited by TraeSher, 21 August 2006 - 02:31 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well first, since your running f-secure firewall, uninstall zone alarm. By the same token if you have bit defender installed then uninstall it as well.

windows updates: after uninstalling the above please got to windows updates and try again. I am expecting them to fail. when it fails there will be an error code in smaller type. it will look something like this: 0x800A138F

Once this code is provided then we can resolve the issue. also what is the link for your windows update? If it is not pointing to htt://update.microsoft.com/ then there should be a link on the right hand side of the windows that will take you the update. This new version checks not only windows, but microsoft applications as well.

Advertisements

TraeSher

TraeSher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
What is F-Secure Firewall? Whatever it is, it wasn't what I intended to be running. I can't find anything by that name on my system, and my Add/Remove Programs isn't really functional at the moment (though F-Secure isn't on the list anyway.) I don't have BitDefender (I don't think.) OH NO! I just found a link in my IE browser functions to Uninstall BitDefender online scanner?!?! Maybe THIS is my whole problem! I have to close all browser windows to uninstall it, so I'm posting this first, for later editing.

No, that wasn't the problem, alas. But BitDefender is gone now.
(JStngRvr advised ZoneAlarm and I've been very happy with it. ZoneAlarm didn't cause the 'debugger' issue, as I didn't install ZoneAlarm until after the cleanup process. If it will help you decide what to do next, I'll uninstall ZoneAlarm, but I fully intend to reinstall it once this is fixed.)
Yes, I used the proper Windows updater for all Microsoft applications at Microsoft's site, always do. Will try again and edit post after all of this.

Okay... these 10 updates are downloaded, according to Microsoft, but something on my computer is preventing them from installing... probably this 'debugger' *sigh* There was no small code anywhere, though I tried several times.

I managed to get the downloaded updates to actually install as part of the Shut Down process. So we're good to go on that; Microsoft Updates are current.

Edited by TraeSher, 23 August 2006 - 07:48 PM.

TraeSher

TraeSher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello, starjax :whistling:

I hope all is well with you, and I hope you get back to me on this soon :blink:

~TraeSher

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Sorry about the slow response. I have gotten rather busy lately. I've asked for one of the other trusted techs to take over. I think if we can get the update issue resolved we might resolve the other issue. However, getting the updates installed should take priority as it leaves you open to exploits and other malware issues.

TraeSher

TraeSher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I figured it was something like that. I'm very easygoing and I understand that you helpful techs get very busy sometimes :blink:

As for the updates, they DID get installed, as part of the Shut Down process. My Microsoft updates are current now :help:

Still having the same issue with WinDVD Creator not starting, though I'm no longer getting the "debugger" message.. I just get nothing, nothing at all. Deleting and reinstalling the program didn't help, either. I keep searching for this problem elsewhere, and followed some steps outlined for others who couldn't get certain games to start up for the same reason. But nothing worked.

Also, my Add/Remove Programs is still 85% messed up with those funky blue-green icons and no choice to do anything with most programs, some of which I don't recognize, despite the Windows Updates.

Spyware scans (AdAware and SpyBot) show nothing but occasional tracking cookies.

I'm so lost :whistling:

Edited by TraeSher, 30 August 2006 - 05:03 PM.

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I noticed you have the following process running:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE

It is the Windows XP Machine Debug Manager. This may be the reason you were getiing that message.

You may want to turn the debugger off. Read about it here:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;321410

Edited by vinny_the_hack, 02 September 2006 - 12:06 AM.