Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data Recovery

• Please log in to reply

cms1920

cms1920

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a desk top computer running on XP Home Edition.
The computer would not boot up and the hard drive was making a clicking sound.
I replaced the hard drive and the computer is operating fine but there is data on the old hard drive I would like to recover.
Can this data be recovered?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Ed Butt

Advertisements

quim88

quim88

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
you sayed that you replace the old hhard drive with the new hard drive is there another another cable like those that you use to connect the new hard drive. it there are then connect the old hard drive with that cable that will be the secundary hard drive .

And now when you open your computer go to Mycomputer>> "you should see an other hard drive name Z:, E: or anything.
open it collect the files that you need an send it to your new hard drive

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Set the old drive to slave with the jumper on the back of the drive. If the old drive is recognised by th OS you should be able to read the files and transfer them. If the old drive is recognized but not your not able to read the files you have a chance.Spinrite 6 is a bit pricey ($90) but it is effective and I have personally used it to recover data the Geek Squad were sure was on a dead Hard Drive.

cms1920

cms1920

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks to Quim88 and Silverbeard for the reply.
I will give it a try next week and post the result.

Thanks again,

Ed

I have a desk top computer running on XP Home Edition.
The computer would not boot up and the hard drive was making a clicking sound.
I replaced the hard drive and the computer is operating fine but there is data on the old hard drive I would like to recover.
Can this data be recovered?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Ed Butt

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Depending on what is wrong with the disk, you might be able to replace the controller board on the disk, but you may need to make sure that you replace it with one that has the same firmware level. You can try a similar board, but I have heard that sometimes it works and sometimes there is an issue with the firmware.

There are also services available, but most are expensive.