Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Problems PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply

CanadianMetal16

CanadianMetal16

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I finally finished building my new computer this morning after having many problems the last couple of days trying to put it together. Windows XP is installed but when i do stuff on it after about 5 minutes it freezes. It is also having problems installing updates for windows it says they failed to install or w/e. What could be the reason for this and how do i fix it?

Edited by CanadianMetal16, 19 August 2006 - 03:08 PM.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I built one a couple of years a go and had a simular problem. Drove me crazy since every thing was brand new. After a day or two of trying different things I finally tested the memmory with Memtest 86. It didn't make it the first pass without an error. The lesson learned: even if the RAM is advertised as tested test it anyway.

CanadianMetal16

CanadianMetal16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I ran memtest86 and there were no errors both of the rams passed. Any other suggestions i really dont want the $1400 i spent to go to waste

CanadianMetal16

CanadianMetal16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
also, when running it in safe mode it seems to not freeze if that helps at all

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
what programs you got installed could something at start-up

CanadianMetal16

CanadianMetal16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
this has been happening since before i even installed anything. The first thing i did when i got windows running was install firefox, and it froze during the download. since then ive installed Guild Wars, which i had to install during safe mode, trillian, utorrent and mcaffee virus scan.

CanadianMetal16

CanadianMetal16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
would reinstalling windows help cuz im thinking about trying that today

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go ahead reinstall them you want it to work trouble free long as your not going lose anything important

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi CanadianMetal16...

This sounds like a hardware problem. Were you able to install all the drivers for all your hardware? What are your system specs?

wannabe1

CanadianMetal16

CanadianMetal16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok the specs are
ABIT KN9 SLI Mobo
Nvidia Geforce 7900gt
maxtor 300 gb sata 150 hdd in 100 170 and 30 gb partitions (i partitioned w/ hdd software not xp)
2x 1gb ddr2 patriot ram
52x memorex cd burner
500w power supply
AMD Athalon 64 3600+
Windows XP Professional
The only drivers i installed were the ones that came with the motherboard and the ones that came with the GPU
Also, when installing xp i didnt install the drivers that came with the hdd but idk if that could be whats causing it because its having problem just installing simple windows updates.
Also im running it at 1680x1050 resolution but that shouldnt be a problem. From what ive done so far im pretty sure that the ram is fine and its not overheating. Im not getting any sort of stop codes everythign just freezes, sometimes everything freezes but the mouse.

Edited by CanadianMetal16, 19 August 2006 - 06:47 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try uninstalling the video card drivers and see how it runs on the native Windows drivers. If it stops hanging configured like that, download updated drivers from the manufacturer's website and install them.

CanadianMetal16

CanadianMetal16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok well i dont get home till 1000 pst so ill check back here w/ the results

CanadianMetal16

CanadianMetal16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
when i uninstall the video card drivers it works perfectly but i went to the nvidia website and installed the update drivers from them and the problem came back. What now?...because with the video card drivers uninstalled i cant get the widescreen resolutions i need for my widescreen monitor.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What version drivers are you installing from Nvidia?