Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot access the internet

• Please log in to reply

Rick_Rambus

Rick_Rambus

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a wired connection via Linksys router via Cable Modem. DHCP is enabled and it gave me the IP 192.168.1.103. I followed all the instructions on the Tutorial but still can't access the internet. I was on a wireless connection but decided to switch for gaming.

I'm using Zone Alarm (Free) as my firewall, Windows XP SP2. My first computer is connected to the internet. Its the second PC thats having the problem connecting.

Advertisements

Rick_Rambus

Rick_Rambus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Don't mean to bump or double post but I some info that might help in my situation.

I ran the ethernet wire to my friend's laptop and he got internet access almost ammediatly. I didn't have to go through any options or turn on anything. I did a comparrison b/w my Network Connections and my friend's. My ethernet adapter is nVidia force, his is Broadcom 440x. Do I need to install drivers from the nVidia website? I've looked at their website and couldn't pin-point the hardware to the right drivers.

Rick_Rambus

Rick_Rambus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Been two days and haven't got a response. Can anyone help? Using wireless atm. Can't access the internet through wired connection.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Sorry for the wait, but please bear with us, there's a lot of you guys. Have you tried turning off the firewall to connect? Have you tried renewing your IP address once you connect?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go start control panel ..system.. hardware.. device manager...net work adapters is there a yellow mark beside it when you click the plus sign..if there is right click then update...if theres not choose uninstall computer will reinstall then right click plus again then update the driver

or try taking out the battery and hold the power button for one minute it gets rid of the static that causes router not to work at 100%

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I get the feeling he became impatient and left. His loss, what can we do. :whistling:

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
He should have looked at this http://www.geekstogo...et-t126196.html that is just down the list of threads. I went through everythingI know to fix a hard wired connection.

Rick_Rambus

Rick_Rambus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Finally, it works!

It was simple: I reinstalled the drivers from the Mobo's CD. A while back I uninstalled nVidia nforce ethernet firewall. I get the feeling the drivers were uninstalled aswell. :whistling:

Thanks for your help! :blink: