Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

• Please log in to reply

roy313

roy313

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Powered up my PC today and got the following dialog box as ther PC was going hrough the boot up process.

"The system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM. The system process C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\SERVICES.EXE terminated unexpectedly with status code 128. The system will shut down and restart."

At that point the system does not get to the login screen and shuts down then restarts.

I used another PC and found information on Microsoft's web site. However I can't get started in safe mode as the Microsoft article indicates because I get the same NT Authority message, but this time after several seconds login screen appears. Tried loggin in but shortly after the system shutdown and restarted.

Came across another posting that suggested to bring up task manager as soon as you login, in Safe mode. However, before Safe Mode is fully loaded the system times out and reboots so I never get task manger up.

Any ideas?

Advertisements